Viewsat PVR 7000 Transfering movies from PVR to PC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alibabaji

Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
I've been unable so far to transfer (watch) movies from my Viewsat PVR 7000 to my PC.

I'm using USB Explorer v 0.7. I can easily connect PVR to PC, copy movies from PVR to PC and then convert those files but I have been unable so far to watch those movies on my PC : black screen, no sound, lot of pixellization, crashes, etc.

I'v tried with at least 5 - 6 different video players. I've also installed the latest version of K-Lite Codec Pack.

Am I missing something ?

With all my thanks.

Cheers

Last edited:
Does the Coolsat 7000 come with some USB copy program?
I didn't think that was necessary.

I don't have a Coolsat 7000 PVR, but based on what I've read...
It's pretty computer-friendly
It's possible to make DVDs from the recordings.
If you are having trouble playing the material, you may not have a player capable of the particular format for that specific station.

The VideoReDo forum has to do with video editing and processing, and there's a thread over there discussing success with the Coolsat 7k.
Since you can get their software for a free 2-week trial, you might give that a try.
Coolsat 7000 pvr - VideoReDo MPEG Editor Forums

I was helping another user over there, but he seems to want to edit out commercials and then upload the edited video back to the Coolsat! :eek:
So, the more we can learn about the unit (from you and from him), the better we'll be able to help others.
If there are any tricks or complications, they'll be posted here on this forum, for the benefit of all.

FYI, yes the VS PVR 7000 comes with a USB software and I have been able so far to transfer the (large : .83 GB for 0:35 min) MPEG movies from my PVR to my PC.

Properties (with VideoReDo PLus) of this original MPEG file (for example) as recorded on PVR:

File Name: C:\test mpeg PVR - PC\2ND REGARD.MPEG
File Size: 888968079 ( 0.83 GB )
Program Duration: 00:34:59.10
File Type: PS - MPEG2
Encoding: MPEG 2
Video stream Id: xE0
Encoding Dimensions: 544 x 480
Display Size: 544 x 480
Aspect Ratio: 4/3
Frame Rate: 29.97 FPS
Bit Rate: 15.000 Mbps
VBV_Buffer: 224 KB
Profile: Main/Main
Progressive: Prog or Int
Chroma: 4:2:0
Audio Format: Layer 2
Audio Stream Id: xC0
Audio Bit Rate: 192 Kbps
Audio Sampling Rate: 48000 Hz

I DL and tried VideoReDo Plus and GREAT, I can at least play this MPEG movie on my PC.

But VideoReDo Plus is not a video player... it's a video editor. For sure it might become useful if I want to edit the movies but for the time being, I just want to play those movies on my PC before burning it eventually on DVD.

Last edited:
You got your shows to play!
That's great.
So, you've proven a lot of the steps are working fine.
VideoReDo has its own built-in codecs, and does not rely on any loaded onto your system.
Most other players do.

Now, the immediate problem is to get you a player that'll work.
Have you looked at VLC?
Ya might look through our FTA DVB department for hints on playing video downloaded from satellite.
The people who cruise through there should have the answer for you.

I don't know if their web site shows it yet, but the VideoRedo folks have TV Suite, which is a super-set of VideoReDo, and it will also author DVDs.
So, something to think about for the future.

btw- I'm curious. Once a show is recorded on the CS 7k, why not watch it on your TV set?
I either do that, or make a DVD and watch that on my TV.
But, that's just me. :)

Last edited:
btw- I'm curious. Once a show is recorded on the CS 7k, why not watch it on your TV set?
I either do that, or make a DVD and watch that on my TV.
But, that's just me. :)

Thanks for your kind help. There's hope !

You see, the hard drive on my Viewsat PVR 7000 is almost full. I need to make some space.

My computer is hooked to my TV set. So I just need to copy those films on my 500 GB external drive, play them on my computer and send the signal to my TV set.

If I want to keep it, then I burn it on DVD or encode it as an AVI file (but this I have not been able to do yet). This will be my next step.

you can't have too much storage!

You see, the hard drive on my Viewsat PVR 7000 is almost full.
I need to make some space.
I do know how you feel ! :eek:

Both my computers hard drives are nearly full.
One machine has 460gb storage, and the other has 960gb.
I put an extra 300gb USB drive on line last night, and hope to use that as work space to compile and burn some of my shows.

Just got an email from a buddy who was worried that one of his two 250gb drives might be getting unreliable.
Here's what I said to him:
Anole said:
With the current cost of drives, I'd get a spare (feel free to get a cheap 500gb sata II, or a cheaper 300gb sata II), and move my data to it.
and he replied:
Keith said:
Ya know, I overlooked the obvious. That makes pretty good sense.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts