Vintage Electronics site

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I own one of the Sony U-matics they talk about on the page. It does still work although one of the loading belts needs replacement as I have to "help" it out a bit when it loads the tape. Otherwise it's all operational. Weighs in at about 65 pounds!!

U-Matics are actually still in use in many TV stations, especially the newer SP machines with built-in TBCs. I have a couple BVU-950s, and the PQ is excellent for an analog format (about equal to non-SP Betacam)...

U-Matics are actually still in use in many TV stations, especially the newer SP machines with built-in TBCs. I have a couple BVU-950s, and the PQ is excellent for an analog format (about equal to non-SP Betacam)...

I knew they had a commercial use but I didn't realize they were still in use, wow!
Must be in smaller stations I'm guessing.
For it's age (I believe around 1971-74) just the fact that it still runs and hasn't really needed much says a lot about the build quality. It's built like a tank.

Yep. My dad had a U-Matic, in lieu of payment from a client. Only had one tape, which we will not discuss. :cool:

The ones I've seen locally are in news departments, usually for airing older stock footage (nearly all news was shot on U-Matic until the early to mid 80s, when Betacam and, later, Betacam SP came along). Beta SP, SX, and DVCPro are used for those tasks now. Digital is killing Beta SP fast, and tapeless media will soon kill the digital tape formats :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)