Vintage Video game/system you still play?

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
While we all have a different definition of vintage whats a game or system that you feel is vintage that you still fire up?

I just got done playing EA Baseball on my PS2 2005 version, love it! And I fire up the Nintendo for super Tecmo Bowl every now that game takes me back to college days :)

I revisit some of the Mario games on the wii once in awhile.Got just about all the Mario games.

Mike Tyson's Punch out on the original NES (the one with Mike)
Nascar 99 or Frogger on the Playstation (the original grey one....not the PS1) :)

oh damn forgot NFL Extreme 2...that game ruled
It was like 7 on 7 and you could totally kill the player before he got the ball

98 Vikes as my team and you could make it 3 downs per possession.....

I still occasionally play a Mattel handheld football game that I got for Christmas 1973. Just a bunch of leds against a background and 6 buttons, but it still works great and is fun to play.

I still occasionally play a Mattel handheld football game that I got for Christmas 1973. Just a bunch of leds against a background and 6 buttons, but it still works great and is fun to play.

Now that is cool.

Those were so much fun!!! Do you have the original white one, or the 2nd edition (Football II, maybe?) that was green?

And do remember that head to head one that came out later, where two people could play? Controlling nothing more than 1 LED blip each!! Not made by Mattel, but don't remember who. Coleco?

Wow, I forgot about those!

Mike Tyson's Punch out on the original NES (the one with Mike)
Nascar 99 or Frogger on the Playstation (the original grey one....not the PS1) :)

I play Super Tecmo Bowl on the original NES, there are a few few stores that sells original NES games. I also,play the hockey game, where you can pick different size players

I revisit some of the Mario games on the wii once in awhile.Got just about all the Mario games.

My son plays Mario on the Wii I recently purchased a Mario game for the original NES and let him know this was the real thing! Where it all started :)

Only problem with my NES as many others you have to blow some times in the game or system to get the dust out

The NES is like the 8-track tape player you had to get it just right to get it to work. I rather have a NES over 8-track. Captain Skyhawk, Tecmo Super bowl, and 1942 battle of the Midway is still fun today and Zelda. Halo and new games have a lot of flash but kids don't know what they are missing when they have to fix and NES game.

Dan Rose

The NES is like the 8-track tape player you had to get it just right to get it to work. I rather have a NES over 8-track. Captain Skyhawk, Tecmo Super bowl, and 1942 battle of the Midway is still fun today and Zelda. Halo and new games have a lot of flash but kids don't know what they are missing when they have to fix and NES game.

Dan Rose
All the blowing issues would likely have been non-existent had they went with the original Famicom design, which had a top loader with the dust tray (Although the real "source" of the problem was the faulty lockout chip, but the design did not help to keep dust out which would mess with the chip.)
famicom_top.jpg

Sadly in order to "trick" retailers into thinking the Nintendo wasn't a video game system, this design probably had to be abandoned as anyone who saw that would have immediately recognized it as one and would not stock it. There's a good reason why Nintendo was (from what I can tell) the only major system to be released with a design like this, and why Nintendo changed the design when they re-released the NES many years later and they didn't need to hide what the system was

106toploaderfront.jpg

Dan Rose

I feel much the same way about text adventures. I still miss infocomm.

i no longer have any of my old systems but i have emulators on the ipad. NES, Sega, Sega Genesis,Super NES and Atari. have a few hundred roms on there. i find myself playing more NES than anything else. i've considered maybe buying some of these old systems again but as long as i have emulators i'm good.

i no longer have any of my old systems but i have emulators on the ipad. NES, Sega, Sega Genesis,Super NES and Atari. have a few hundred roms on there. i find myself playing more NES than anything else. i've considered maybe buying some of these old systems again but as long as i have emulators i'm good.
I have emulators on my PC. I tried on my phone/iPad but I find the touch screen controls to just be insufficient for playing most games. Since most NES games are platformers, or at least games that require rather quick reflexes, about 90% of the games I would want to play just aren't practical. Unless you want to play mainly turn based RPGs, I find it more fun to just play on my computer with regular tactile controllers. And yes I know that in some instances you can use Bluetooth controllers, but if I still need to use a separate controller than I may as well just play it on my computer, which is hooked up to my 50" Panny.

those touch screen controls are pretty bad. like you mentioned, i have a controller (wii remote) via Bluetooth and its a huge difference. it works on all the emulators but i wish it would work for the other games on iOS. its rumored that apple is making a controller that will work with most if not all the games from the app store.
the bigger screen would be nice. i've considered this system i've seen on ebay that plays all NES,SNES and SEGA on one console. i may have seen one where it also had a slot for N64 games. i find it a bit strange how i prefer the older games than the newer ones. i loved the 360 but sold it a couple of months ago. didn't play it. yet i find myself playing the emulators quite often.

I wish I had kept my old NES and SNES.

You can replace the cartridge mechanism on the NES. Look on ebay.

You can also bypass the NES10 Lockout chip by severing one of the chip's leads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)