VIP 211 Ext. Drive to VIP 211k?

dntc0x

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
My (silver) VIP 211 is dying. After tech chats with Dish, they info'd me that I'd need it replaced.
-- When I got the original 211, I also added an external usb hard drive and activated the DVR function with the one-time fee $40.
-- It hasn't 'died' completely, before chatting with the tech, it would randomly shut down. Sometimes, the receiver would 'reset' itself and begin a download (code 535 - 5 minutes), sometimes I would hold the power button to manually reset.
-- I think that the tech has changed a software setting that disconnected the drive, because I no longer have any DVR functionality. (The receiver still randomly shuts down for a 535 download).
-- I was very specific with the tech that I wanted not only to retain the drive, but also the recordings. He assured me (I saved the text) that the replacement would retain my recordings. However, he didn't specify the exact model of receiver that would be sent.
-- While still watching the original 211 (with no DVR), I occasionally get a message: "Attention (code 954) - The attached USB hard drive needs to be reformatted to support the Dish Network DVR feature. All existing data on the hard drive will be erased." I've been selecting "NO" because I don't want to reformat the drive until the new receiver arrived.
**I just received a VIP 211k receiver (not a VIP 211). I seem to remember reading something in the past that HD's from 211 receivers could not be used on a 211k receiver without reformatting.
-- Can anyone advise me what to do in order to save the existing recordings? - Is it possible, or am I just 'out of luck'? I have a windows pc if there is a way to save a "backup" I'd be willing to try.
-- I haven't connected the 211k yet, because I'm afraid that it will automatically reformat the drive, or at least not assume DVR functions until I allow it.
** Let me know ASAP as I need to return a receiver to Dish within 10 days or else have to pay for the receiver (in this case, I only needed to pay one-time shipping).
--- Thanks for any help or advice! ---
Dave

Go ahead and do your installation, if it was going to reformat your EHD it would warn you first. That said, it's not going to ask you anything because it is going to work just like you want it to the first time you plug it in. You wouldn't be able to use that EHD and keep recordings with any other receiver but the 211, 211K, and 211Z.

That is incorrect.
So, the drive from the 211 should work OK with the 211k?
I didn't receive any enclosed instructions. I'll probably swap receivers after my kids cartoon end in a few minutes.
Thanks for the reply!

I've got one more issue with the 211k. No remote control was sent with it. I have an old 20.0 remote (which works, but just barely on some buttons). Will it work ok with the 211k?
-- Any advice on getting a remote from Dish? I was hoping that one would come with the replacement receiver. Can I request one from Dish, or would it be less expensive to order one myself (and from where)?

Thanks to all who have replied.
((( However ))), I'm still on the phone with Dish support in Christiansburg. Once the 211k 'installed' (working as regular receiver), I tried to connect the USB drive. At first, it looked as if the 211k accepted the drive.
But I keep getting the Attention (code 954) - The attached USB hard drive needs to be reformatted to support the Dish Network DVR feature. All existing data on the hard drive will be erased.
I've got a good tech on the phone, and he's taking the time to double check with a higher level tech or supervisor before I take the final step of reformatting the hard drive.
***If anyone else knows something to try, I'd appreciate it!

Do not reformat the EHD. Ask the tech to resend the EHD authorization to the new receiver.
He resent an authorization, but he didn't say if he sent a specific one for the EHD.
I've disconnected the drive for now (w/o reformat). If you know of a specific tech at Dish who I can speak with, I'm willing to try in order to save my recordings

Someone who posted sometime ago had luck after I told them to get a refresh of their account from DISH. I don't know if there is a separate refresh of the EHD authorization or if when you asked for that they simply sent an account refresh.
I also would restart the receiver and see if the EHD now works.

Someone who posted sometime ago had luck after I told them to get a refresh of their account from DISH.
I also would restart the receiver and see if the EHD now works.
Isn't that the same as a re authorization?

I'm not sure because I don't know if there is a separate signal sent for the "authorization" for the EHD use.

Well, I tried calling a different tech. Same result. This tech seems to think that there might be a problem with the drive.
However, the previous tech had already arranged to ship a 211z. So, I'm going to disconnect the drive and wait for that receiver.
Thanks again for the dialog/input.

From what I have read here, there is a one time $40 fee on the 211 series receivers to activate the EHD DVR functionality, so logically they must have sent a signal to authorize that. I think it is an account based fee, so it covers all 211 series receivers on the account including 211 replacements.

The op's new 211k receiver should have worked with his EHD. Since it didn't, resending authorization is something that might fix the problem, since the receiver is not recognizing that the EHD is authorized for his account.

If it still isn't working, I suggest unplugging the receiver for 30 seconds and disconnecting the EHD. Plug the receiver back in, turn it on, then reconnect the EHD. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. It is possible that the EHD can't be recovered and does need to be reformatted.

After I wrote my post, I saw your post about getting a replacement receiver. I hope that works for you.

Well, I tried calling a different tech. Same result. This tech seems to think that there might be a problem with the drive.
However, the previous tech had already arranged to ship a 211z. So, I'm going to disconnect the drive and wait for that receiver.
Thanks again for the dialog/input.
Well, honestly I think you're just chasing your tail.

The "tech's" mostly just follow whatever SCRIPT points that come up whey then input your problem into the KDB.. The fact that it failed on the original, then and the K is pretty condemning evidence your EHD has a problem or has Failed.

Well, honestly I think you're just chasing your tail.

The "tech's" mostly just follow whatever SCRIPT points that come up whey then input your problem into the KDB.. The fact that it failed on the original, then and the K is pretty condemning evidence your EHD has a problem or has Failed.
-- Actually, the original 211 failed. That was made conclusive because it would randomly shut down and require download/reboot regardless of hard drive being connected (or not). Probably something in the power supply had degraded (making for marginal voltage), or a component overheating and causing thermal reset.
*** When the problem started, I was still able to use DVR functions. Only after my contacting Dish tech support did the DVR stop working or receiving any errors relating to it. ***
---I can't prove it, but I think that the tech that arranged to send the first replacement "jumped the gun" and entered something in the software that I had a 211k (before it actually arrived). That's when the problem with the drive actually started.

Here's the latest. Dish sent another replacement, a VIP 211z. Installed it, normal receiver functions, USB drive detected, but still prompting to reformat the drive.
--- I had the Dish tech to restart the 211k, since it has built-in off-air antenna but the 211z does not (I get some channels off-air that are not available on DISH)
--- The tech gave me some phone numbers for local Dish dealers that may still have an original VIP 211 (Dish doesn't stock them anymore).
So I'm back to my original issue.
>> Are VIP 211 formatted drives (DVR) fully functional (assuming drive itself is good) on 211k receivers? I'm pretty sure reading in the past that 211 external drives were not compatible, but it may be with other (non-211) models of Dish receivers.

KAB has it right. You've tried everything reasonable to try and it hasn't worked. Finding a VIP 211 isn't going to help, since as ChadT41 confirmed all 211 series receivers EHD's are compatible. I'm sorry we couldn't help you save your recordings.

You commented "I'm pretty sure reading in the past that 211 external drives were not compatible, but it may be with other (non-211) models of Dish receivers." 211 series EHD's are not compatible with the HD DVR models like the VIP722 or the Hopper series. The HD DVR models all have built in hard drives and use EHD's as additional storage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts