VIP 211k picture format questions

Capt Odyssea

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Florida
Went HD in the living room, top 250 package which includes a couple movie channels
(TMC-w, TMC-xw,Encore w, Ewstn, Eactn, Mplex, fxm, )
On all channels other than these I've got full screen HD, 1080i, but on the above the picture is letter boxed on the sides and top/bottom. Now i've just noticed that selecting non HD regular channels results in the same,
so do HD movie channels have to be subbed in HD separately?
Interesting that all channels in this package avail as HD I get, but not the movie channels.
Rarely watch movie channels anyway, just trying to understand the approach.

Encore has no hd ..except encore hd the main channel..the 2 movie channels are not available in hd on dish..but you can get the other 2 tmc channels if you subscribe to the package

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

The six channels listed are in SD.

Now, a separate pet peeve of mine is broadcasting a widescreen SD signal completely picture framed as Capt Odyssea described above. Why oh why can't Dish broadcast widescreen properly in widescreen? :crying

Reactions: Jim S.
Now, a separate pet peeve of mine is broadcasting a widescreen SD signal completely picture framed as Capt Odyssea described above. Why oh why can't Dish broadcast widescreen properly in widescreen? :crying
Then they would be stretching/zooming the SD picture (though more proportionally correct than 4:3 stretch-o-vision).

Then they would be stretching/zooming the SD picture (though more proportionally correct than 4:3 stretch-o-vision).

Yes but the PQ will be much better if Dish did that at the head end rather than making us do it with our TV.

I think you can select that option in the receiver..you have to set it 480i

Really??? I change SD (letterbox) channels ALL the time to "ZOOM" & I've NEVER changed it from 1080i...& I do it a LOT more now "on the fly", now that they FINALLY decided to send all the Superstations in letterbox; picture quality is much better & you see the entire screen, than when they were center-cutting them.

Reactions: pattykay
Dish does not originate the signal. They receive it in SD already postage-stamped (black on all 4 sides) from the content creator so there's nothing Dish can do about it without compromising things for SD TVs. I suppose Dish could convert the incoming signal to HD and transmit that but that wouldn't increase picture quality.

The Dish receiver does a decent job zooming the image to full screen for HD 16:9 display. I do this all the time, but the resolution is still SD.

DVD players have a mode that allow the content provider to provide a16:9 image that was squeezed to 4:3. The player then had logic to restore the original aspect ratio. It would letter box for SD displays or stretch it back to 16:9 for HD displays. Most could also pass it on to a 16:9 TV where it could stretch it back to 16:9. This won't work in the world where there are SD 4:3 TVs that don't know anything about the aspect being sent.

Reactions: dishrich
Yep, for at least the past two weeks or so, a bunch of SD channels have been broadcast in the wrong aspect ratio (squished & stretched or just stretched) or as HD even though they're SD...

Using the VIP 222's ratio controls (stretch, partial zoom, zoom, gray bar) makes no difference. They have no effect and do not work (gray bar doesn't even show up).

I know it's not my TV's fault, as we're having the same problem with our other TV & VIP 222, and some SD channels are not effected.

It's really starting to piss me off... and I don't piss off easily...

Channels exhibiting the problem, that I watch, are:

There must be more...

Because the gray bar option won't work on the effected channels, it's the easiest way to tell if the channel is messed up...

Who can we contact to have this resolved?

Dish does not originate the signal. They receive it in SD already postage-stamped (black on all 4 sides) from the content creator so there's nothing Dish can do about it without compromising things for SD TVs. I suppose Dish could convert the incoming signal to HD and transmit that but that wouldn't increase picture quality.

The Dish receiver does a decent job zooming the image to full screen for HD 16:9 display. I do this all the time, but the resolution is still SD.

DVD players have a mode that allow the content provider to provide a16:9 image that was squeezed to 4:3. The player then had logic to restore the original aspect ratio. It would letter box for SD displays or stretch it back to 16:9 for HD displays. Most could also pass it on to a 16:9 TV where it could stretch it back to 16:9. This won't work in the world where there are SD 4:3 TVs that don't know anything about the aspect being sent.
If you use the rca jacks on the 211k you get a regular old fashioned SD signal for older tvs

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)