VIP 222 Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

birdo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
I have a reoccurring problem on my VIP 222. Many times it will freeze the video screen on a show. The audio will continue to work however if I go to change channels, all I get is blank screen but the audio continues to work. I have two tuners and it will happen to both televisions but not at the same time. And when one blanks out the other tv will work fine.

A soft reboot will clear the issue but this happens several to 7 times a week. Dish replaced the reciever but that had not cleared the problem though. It continues on the new receiver as well.

Any ideas or anything I should check? Or do I need a Dish tech to come out and check connections, the dish itself or something like that.

As a side note, I have a Vip 722 and have no issues like that.

I have a reoccurring problem on my VIP 222. Many times it will freeze the video screen on a show. The audio will continue to work however if I go to change channels, all I get is blank screen but the audio continues to work. I have two tuners and it will happen to both televisions but not at the same time. And when one blanks out the other tv will work fine.

A soft reboot will clear the issue but this happens several to 7 times a week. Dish replaced the reciever but that had not cleared the problem though. It continues on the new receiver as well.

Any ideas or anything I should check? Or do I need a Dish tech to come out and check connections, the dish itself or something like that.

As a side note, I have a Vip 722 and have no issues like that.

My own experience is identical in all respects to yours - 222 and replacement both plagued with too freqent video freezeups, while my 722 runs flawlessly.

I finally threw in the towel on the 222's a few days ago, and ordered an upgrade to a 622, which is hopefully in enroute to me. I'm a little apprehensive about the upgrade, since I found it almost impossible to communicate with the CSR who assisted me wth the transaction. It was one of the most disjointed, clumsy verbal exchanges I've ever experienced, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will get what I ordered.

Birdo, I greatly improved my 222's performance by giving it space to breathe. The darn thing hates heat. By isolating the unit from any other sources of heat, and giving it plenty of room for circulation, I have reduced the freeze-ups to about one every week or so.

Birdo, I greatly improved my 222's performance by giving it space to breathe. The darn thing hates heat. By isolating the unit from any other sources of heat, and giving it plenty of room for circulation, I have reduced the freeze-ups to about one every week or so.

I don't doubt heat may cause instability in the 222's, but mine were sitting in an open area, in a 72 degree room, away from any other heat sources, so I don't think heat was a factor for either of my 222's.

Exactly what I did

Bob

Has your 622 upgrade been installed long enough to get some confidence that none of the problems you had experienced with the 222's have shown up on the 622?

Also, did E* ship you the 622 for you to install, rather than insist on a tech visit? I was surprised and pleased that they seemed willing to just ship the 622 to me and let me install it, which seems to contradict their web site.
They haven't issued anything in the way of a tracking number or shipping info, though, so I am just hoping it's really on the way.

A soft reboot will clear the issue but this happens several to 7 times a week. .

I have been having the same problem for some time with my 222. I have to do a hard reboot to fix the problem. In addition, my 222 was rebooting on its own several times daily for about a week, but it seems this issue has stopped.

I went thru a local dealer who was very easy to work with, he said he would replace with a 622 but brought me a 722, and it has been flawless, this is my first dvr and I love it

Bob

New to DISH w/ a 222. Haven't experienced video freeze, but has "locked up" a few times, ignoring either remote. I've just been cutting power from the surge protector for a minute or so, and then powering up again. Functions fine again once it acquires signal.

What is the difference between soft & hard reboot, and which is better to use?

I did think heat may have been the issue. I amgoing to open it up around the 222 and see if that may solve the problem. It is in an enclosed cabinet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts