VIP 222 Release Date

Kru83

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2006
New Jersey
just got forward email from your FSM that they will be installing 222 After June 1st. i also checked with warehouse, he is getting shipment in near future...:hungry:

they also told the warehouse to give HDMI Cable as standard.

VIP 222 Released?

I dont know if anyone else noticed this, but dish network has a posted software version of L3.01 for the vip 222 on the tech depot portion of the website, and all the programming and tech info is up for it? does this mean it is now available?

thanks

Wow they are going to beat one of their release dates. At Team Summit we were told we would not seem them until at least July if not longer.

here is the email.

ViP222 Launch
The introduction of the ViP222 as an eligible HD receiver model for all sales channels is scheduled for June 1, 2007. The ViP222 is a dual-tuner receiver that supports one HDTV and one SDTV.

ViP222 Product Description
ViP222 is an advanced MPEG-4 dual tuner high definition satellite receiver providing the ability to view independent programming on two televisions.

§ MPEG-4/MPEG-2 technology
Two HD/SD satellite tuners1
Digital off-air tuner1
Two independent TVs supported
TV1 HDTV or SDTV
TV2 SDTV
HDTV digital audio/video output2
USB 2.0 port3
Ethernet port3
DishHOME Interactive TV
Parental locks
On-screen Caller ID4
Up to 2-day Picture-In-Guide with optional
widescreen Electronic Program Guide
(EPG)
Software upgradeable via satellite
DishCOMM™ compatible3
DISH Pro Plus compatible
Remote controls (2)

ViP222 Packout
ViP222 will include composite and phone line cables. No HDMI or component cables will be included with the receiver. To insure that ViP222 series receivers are installed using the highest quality video cable available, Technicians should carry both component and HDMI cables when installing these model receivers. Whenever possible these model receivers should be installed using the HDMI cable. When an HDMI connection is not available, the component cable should be used.

Offices are responsible for the ordering of both cable types.

• [*]The Component (Y Pb Pr) cable comes in packages of 10 (part# 143397)
    [*]The HDMI cable (part# 144446) comes in packages of 10 and will include the DVI to HDMI adapter.
Technicians should take the unused cable with them once the installation is complete, to be used on future installations.

Trouble Calls/Service Calls
Technician must follow the “like for like” business rule and replace the defective ViP222 with a ViP222. There is no acceptable substitution.

DNS Internal Offices

6/1/2007
HD/SD Dual Tuner Receivers

ViP222 will be utilized for dual tuner NON DVR HD/SD installations

LSC Orders

DNS weekly orders will be adjusted to insure adequate quantities of ViP222 For NC/CH/TC/SC workorders
Service Codes

New Service Code for ViP222

Service Code:

Primary Purchased ViP Receiver - OW
Primary Leased ViP Receiver - OU
Secondary Purchased ViP Receiver - OX
Secondary Leased ViP Receiver - OV

Account Limits/ Programming Requirements

Restrictions of # of HD/SD receivers per account : Limit two ViP222 receivers/account

HD Programming or HD Enabling fee will be required for the customer to receive a ViP222
Substitution Matrix

ViP222 is a “like-for-like” exchange.
Inventory Management

ViP222 Part Number: 142913

Clearly an advance over the single-tuner non-DVR ViP product.

But my question is - why would someone who is "advanced" enough to have HD, want a non-DVR receiver ?

Even if you never record anything, just having the capability to press "pause" when the phone rings is invaluable.

If the ViP622 was the only HD receiver (and the 625 the only SD receiver), then they could make them in greater quantities, and the "economy of scale" would mean that they could price them at the same point as the non-DVR receivers....

Does Dish Network charge an extra 5 bucks a month on these dual tuner receivers like a separate receiver?

yeah if the phone line is not connected.

222's main goal will be to have 2nd hd box in the bed room. so you can do pic and pic. or feed the 2nd non hd tv.

may be in the future you can alwasy add external storage to it.

But my question is - why would someone who is "advanced" enough to have HD, want a non-DVR receiver ?

Even if you never record anything, just having the capability to press "pause" when the phone rings is invaluable.

If the ViP622 was the only HD receiver (and the 625 the only SD receiver), then they could make them in greater quantities, and the "economy of scale" would mean that they could price them at the same point as the non-DVR receivers....

I have the 211 and I'm content with it and don't need the 622. I had comcasts dvr before and never used it. I just don't record tv programs and don't get that many phone calls in the evening to justify paying the extra monthly fee.

My sense is that the 222 is a solution for households with secondary or even tertiary smaller HD displays like those in bedrooms, etc.

Also, an off the shelf hard drive can be connected to the 222 via USB, and for an enabling fee, the 222 will function like a Dish DVR. That is much less expensive for Dish: providing one box for 2 TV's and YOU get to pay for the hard drive, and when it crashes, YOU get to replace it. That saves Dish a few pennies on all the replacements and shipments for current integrated hard drive DVR's. All this is when Dish downloads the software to make this happen. This external hard drive you provide will also be able to connect to other Dish capable boxes (such as the 622--soon anyway) under the same account to be used for playback (or recording) in other rooms of the house.

Of course, the 622 or 722 will still be the primary HD box for the all important primary big screen.

Why would someone with a secondary HDTV want a 222 when the TV2 output is SD, not HD?

Dish needs to develope a receiver with two discrete HD outputs, or as they said on the last TechTalk, have an ethernet connection between two HD DVR's.

This HD/SD output thing is a bust.

So far the 222 is NOT available to retailers, its only available to DNS.

However this will chane which they have rolled out a few boxes and make sure all is ok.

BTW I heard a "Rumor" at Team Summit that sometime in the future you will be able to turn the 222 into a DVR by plugging in an external USB hard drive.

So if a customer dont want a DVR now, Dish does not need to go through the exxpense of giving them one. If that customer in the future wants a DVR they will be able to go to Best Buy and get an External USB hard drive which will give them DVR service. This save Dish from having to go out and upgrade the customer. :)

So far the 222 is NOT available to retailers, its only available to DNS.

However this will chane which they have rolled out a few boxes and make sure all is ok.

BTW I heard a "Rumor" at Team Summit that sometime in the future you will be able to turn the 222 into a DVR by plugging in an external USB hard drive.

So if a customer dont want a DVR now, Dish does not need to go through the exxpense of giving them one. If that customer in the future wants a DVR they will be able to go to Best Buy and get an External USB hard drive which will give them DVR service. This save Dish from having to go out and upgrade the customer. :)

Would this also work for the current VIP211 also ?

The VIP 211 will be the first Non DVR which will be able to upgrade to a DVR. :)

We were shown this at Team Summit. :D

BTW DishStore.NET now has Dish 222's AVAILABLE! :)

If Dish gets the whole central server ethernet link working and released... They were demonstrating the ability to play back items recorded from other DVRs via ethernet on the VIP222. It was not clear from the demo and I did not think to ask if a local USB disk would be needed at the VIP222 for buffering the content being downloaded over ethernet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)