ViP 222 same size as what other receivers?

Andrewwski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I'm purchasing custom rackshelves to put Dish receivers in a rack...I need them for a 612, 211k, and 222. Middle Atlantic has the 612 and 211k in their database, so no problem there. But they don't have the 222.

They have the 612, 622, and 722 however, along with quite a few other models.

Is the 222 the same physical size (most importantly the front of it) as any of the other models?

Thanks...I remember what they all look like but not exactly what sizes they are.

Interestingly there is a rumour of a software upgrade to use an external hard drive with the 222 to allow it to become a full fledged DVR system like the 722. Apparently when released you'll pay the USB external drive activation fee and then a monthly DVR fee.

Just to make sure, you aren't putting these in a rack where the slots are exactly the size of the receivers are you? They need room for ventilation or they will overhead and die.

No. There are no "slots." The only thing made to match the size of the receiver is the front faceplate on the rack. Behind that, it's just sitting on an open, ventilated shelf.

General idea of the rack - this picture is of a much taller version (ours is only 18 space) - and we won't have the rear door:

pimage_15967.jpg

Custom Rack Shelf example:

rshcomponent.jpg

Cooling diagram:

rsharrows.jpg

I've never taken a tape measure to one, but I've installed plenty and with the naked eye it appears to be exactly the same size as a 622/722. If it IS 1/4 inch smaller is it that big of a deal? It's definately not bigger.... plus I would think it would be better to make the rack fit a 722 anyway in case you decide you want to upgrade to another DVR.....

Your installer is going to hate you either way :p

Haha...I figured that so he's already been here and everything's finished in that respect. Right now the receivers are just sitting on a table until I build the rack...much easier this way.

This isn't at my house though, so I don't have it all sitting right in front of me, and nobody actually is living in the house yet.

As for the sizing...it's all about aesthetics.

As for the sizing...it's all about aesthetics.

I know what you mean but I would personally have a small gap to guarantee that I wouldn't have to replace my rack if I were to upgrade in the future..... I built mine into living room wall by cutting a hole into my coat closet and having the receiver's sit on racks in the closet with the faces flush to my living room wall.... I left a small space between each shelf to make sure everything was ventilated well and to allow for slightly large equipment in the future if need be... with the spaces all being uniform, it still looks pretty slick.

What about having all the racks built larger than needed, but having a custom faceplate that attaches to the front of the racks to hide the gaps? Then in the future all you would have to do is have a different faceplate made if your component sizes change....

There will be empty space in the racks...just not in the shelves themselves. I'll probably have a gap of one rack space between each receiver. Thus the shelves won't be an issue to change out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts