VIP 222 won't see satellite 129

happy hopping

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
North America
I am posting this on behalf of an older couple who apparently still doesn't have something called the internet.

They have a VIP 222 (silver) and 1000.4 western arc. The installer peaked 119, found all the channels in 119 and 110, but the receiver is not seeing any channel under 129.

In the check switch, according to the manual that comes with the dish, it SHOULD show:

Satellite Input 1 as well as Input 2

Port 1 to 3, Satellite 119, 110, 129
Device: 1K.4 for all 3 satellite
Reception Verified, Switch DPP 1k.4

BUT, THIS IS what they have:

Connected to a DPP WA.4 w/ separator,4 port
Port 1 DPP WA.4, 110, Even Odd
Port 2 DPP WA.4 good connection, no signal
Port 3 DPP WA.4, 119, Even Odd
Port 4, no connection

The installer said the above is normal, because the box needs a "software download"

But after the VIP 222 turns itself off overnight, and the next morning, they still don't see the HD channels. And the problem is, they already have the latest firmware prior to install, so why would there be a software download?

They called dish network support, the tech. support guy asked them to disconnected the cables connect to the receiver, then do a check switch to clear all the setting, then re-connect the cables, and do a second check-switch. But the installer said not to do that, so that's where they are at for now.

any advice?

The dish is pointed incorrectly. It should read DPP WA.4
Port 1: 119
Port 2: 110
Port 3: 129
Port 4: not connected

Port 4 is an input you're not using so don't worry about that one. Call in to dish and set up a service call to repoint the dish

Ill confirm that something is incorrect about the install. For future reference you should never let a technician leave without having him verify all the programming is coming in correctly.

This weekend, I re-visit my friends above after 8 months. Here's an update: they ask that installer to come back and re-install the satellite. Since then, they can watch HD channels, and the Check switch does show:

Port 1 WA.4, 119
Port 2 WA.4 110,
Port 3 WA.4, 129
Port 4, no connection

however, when it comes to their local channel, they can only watch SD, as there is no signal on their local HD channels. And when I view their local HD channels at the signal strength meter, it shows the same satellite as the SD channels. For e.g.:

say their SD channels are transponder 31 at Satellite 110
then their HD channels are also transponder 31 at Satellite 110

shouldn't their HD channels be satellite 129? Otherwise, how can we explain there is no signal as those HD channels really exists, their neighbors are watching it

when it comes to their local channel, they can only watch SD, as there is no signal on their local HD channels. And when I view their local HD channels at the signal strength meter, it shows the same satellite as the SD channels.
Dish has two sets of satellites on two "arcs". Western Arc is what your friend has. If he or she is actually in an Eastern Arc (61.5/72.7/77) DMA, then he needs to get a dish upgrade. The neighbor that is getting the correct locals either has an EA dish (if that's the correct arc for his DMA), or else DirecTV!

so what are you saying? That the HD channel should also be in Satellite 110, Transponder 31? Or that there is no HD channel for the local?

My friends are using Western Arc, but at their age, they couldn't have remember what their neighhour uses

If you can tell us your friend's location (city, state) then we can tell you what local is where and if there is HD available on whichever arc.

Dish HD locals are all over theplace, wherever they can stick them to make them work.

We need the city/town where they live to make a determination.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)