ViP 222k receiver problem

wheelin42001

Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
United States
Alright.. I hope I don't jump around too much on this post. The receiver is hooked to two separate TV's in opposite ends of the house. BOTH remotes are set up as UHF, on different channels so that's not an issue.

TV in the main room with the receiver is a Samsung LCD, secondary is a Vizio LCD. When used independently both work just fine, although in the main living room if I get too far away from the receiver the remote stops working (will dive into this soon). The second TV is about 45 feet or so away and when it is being used alone it works just fine.

Here's the pickle and dilemma. When I have the Samsung TV turned out it will NOT allow me to change the channel on the second receiver from the bed room, I have to be within 10 feet of the main box. Same thing in the living room, if I move more than 10ft away the remote no longer works. BUT, if I turn the Samsung TV off, the remote for the bedroom works just fine!!! There is something with the Samsung TV being on that interferes with the UHF signal and wouldn't allow the IR to work at all.

The model number for the samsung is LN46D550K1FXZA

Dish was literally no help in figuring out a solution for this... Any ideas folks?

Thanks for your time
Chris

With the LCD, you need to turn all picture enhancements, especially auto back-light off. They create interference for the remote.

See if the Samsung has the auto brightness or whatever they call it turned on. If it does try turning it off. It could be one of the auto adjust settings on the Samsung is causing the problem.

Aight here's where I am at.
Backlight 0 which is horrid makes the screen so bland...
Back ton and dynamic contrast off
Edge ehancement and motion lighting off
film mode off

Not sure of any other options and that still hasn't fixed the problem...

Obviously something coming from the TV is interfering with the remote signal. If it's frequency specific you could try changing the remote address on the Dish remotes.

Aight here's where I am at.
Backlight 0 which is horrid makes the screen so bland...
Back ton and dynamic contrast off
Edge ehancement and motion lighting off
film mode off

Not sure of any other options and that still hasn't fixed the problem...

Is there a setting that dims your TV as the room dims? That's the one you need to turn off. What is the brand and model of the TV?

Is there a setting that dims your TV as the room dims? That's the one you need to turn off. What is the brand and model of the TV?
"The model number for the samsung is LN46D550K1FXZA"

I've heard of Samsungs causing interference before. Other than the suggestions above, I'm not sure there's much you can do about it, short of wrapping the back and sides in foil.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Another thought, in the TV1 room, how much leeway do you have to move the Dish receiver away from the Samsung TV? Put as much distance as you can between them. Another possible option is to extend/relocate the remote antenna on the back of the receiver with a piece of coax cable and a barrel connector, so that you can move that remote antenna as far away as you can from the TV in room #1. Honestly, it's hard for the Dish employees to do much with this, a lot of non-Dish equipment can cause problems like this, and it varies from TV type to TV type, and varies based on the settings. Give that relocation of the remote antenna a try, and see how that works. That's a pretty inexpensive fix.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way

I had thought about extending the antenna out but wasn't sure if it was just as easy as a piece of coax cable, but I will def try that! And I understand that it's hard to diagnosis the issues because of external equipment, but when I sent their tech support a very detailed email, I got a generic email back that had pretty much nothing to do with what I was experiencing..

Thanks for the ideas, I'll be giving them a try here soon

The backlight interference is with the IR from the remote, not the UHF - wrong tree.

Something else is causing the problem.

Try to extend the uhf remote antenna up and away from the TV/receiver area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)