ViP 622 & Dish 1000.2 Connections ???

cire50

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007
I plan on purchasing a new ViP 622 and the Dish 1000.2 to replace my 522 DVR and Dish 500. My question is, if I'm only hooking the 622 in dual TV mode to the Dish 1000.2 do I need a switch ? If so, which one ? Also is it possible to split the output for TV2 and go to 2 other TVs in the house ??

Thanks !!

Eric

DPP separator

You would need a DP+ separator for your VIP 622. It's a good idea to use the 1000.2 dish since it doesn't need the DPP44 switch. ;)

The Dish 1000.2 can feed three dual tuner receivers, i.e. it has 3 outputs.

No switch is needed unless you add a fourth orbital location or a fourth receiver.

The RF agile modulator on the 622 is powerful enough to drive multiple TV's, just remember each split in the line cuts signal strength in half.

Actualy you can add a fourth satellite with a dish 1000.2, but no 4th receiver if you use dual tuner receivers. I have one and I could get 110/119/129/61.5 with mine. I have three dual tuner dvrs hooked up to it. I don't use 129 though due to crappy hd reception problems. I cover it with aluminum foil to make the internal switch of the triple lnb default to 61.5 .

The Dish 1000.2 can feed three dual tuner receivers, i.e. it has 3 outputs.

No switch is needed unless you add a fourth orbital location or a fourth receiver.

The RF agile modulator on the 622 is powerful enough to drive multiple TV's, just remember each split in the line cuts signal strength in half.

Anyway to amplify the signal if needed ??

Ok ... Thanks !! Should one be placed before the splitter or one on each line after the splitter ??

It's better to just amp out the whole thing prior to splitting.

Saves on amps...not to mention it's a lot easier to troubleshoot if problems arise down the road

If you do this, get a real good amp. The TV2 output is about 15db and so if you amp right off of it, you will probably run into headroom trouble, not to mention distortion. It's best to amp when the signal is around 3 to 8 db. That's after two splits or after a set of diplexers. You want to come into each tv around 0 to3 db.

He probably won't need an amp unless these are real long runs.

If you do this, get a real good amp. The TV2 output is about 15db and so if you amp right off of it, you will probably run into headroom trouble, not to mention distortion. It's best to amp when the signal is around 3 to 8 db. That's after two splits or after a set of diplexers. You want to come into each tv around 0 to3 db.

He probably won't need an amp unless these are real long runs.

I'll be running about 8' - 10' to the splitter .... split signal 3ways .... each split run will be 30' to the most. I use good RG6 cable and snap lock connectors .... any suggestions on splitters ???

I'll be running about 8' - 10' to the splitter .... split signal 3ways .... each split run will be 30' to the most. I use good RG6 cable and snap lock connectors .... any suggestions on splitters ???

I think you'll be just fine without the amp. As far as 3 way splitters go, there is generally two types: Balanced and unbalanced.

A balanced 3 way loses 5.5db on all three ports. This is ideal if all 3 tvs are roughly the same distance from the splitter.

An unbalanced splitter is more common. They lose 7 db through each of two ports but only 3.5db through one port. That low loss 3.5db side is better if you have one tv that is a longer distance from the splitter than the others or if you are inserting into an amp or more splitters. This is the more common splitter and you'll see the cable company using them most often.

For runs under 30', a balanced 3 way is better. You want the splitter to be rated 1ghz (1000mhz) or higher. Holland makes a good one that is balanced. Here is a link.

OK thanks again for the info. !! I broke down and bought a ViP 722 ... should be here tomorrow. Quick question on the 1000.2 Dish to the 722 ... is it just one cable and not two like my old 625 and 500 dish ???

IF you have a dishpro plus twin or dish1000.2 triple lnb , yes it is one cable using the dishpro plus seperator that comes with the 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)