VIP 622 DVR Timers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Viper0580

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Northern Kentucky
:confused: I have noticed some thing and not sure if any one else has noticed this. I have a VIP 622 receiver and when I go in to the DVR list to see all the shows I have recorded HD and SD shows. It shows the hours that I have available to record more HD and SD shows. I have noticed that when I record a HD show it takes away from the available SD time limit and it takes away from the available HD time limit. I know on the 622 I should have a total of 230 hours to record shows 30 hours for HD and 200 hours for SD recordings. This also happens when I delete a HD show. It adds time back to the SD and HD available time limit. When you record a HD show should it only take away from the HD available timer and not the SD available timer? And also when you record a SD show? Why dose Dish split up the available time limit for HD and SD? They should have it so it does not matter what I record HD or SD shows. It should come off of 1 available time limit and should not be split between HD and SD recordings. The available recording time limit should come off of one pool or one time limit. Like with the VIP 622 should total 230 hours or recordings not 30 for HD and 200 for SD shows. I hope that I explained this well.

You're getting confused because there are two numbers. To add to the confusion, they are both estimates. In actuality it works exactly how you think it should.

Your 622 has a 350GB drive, a certain part of this is reserved for VOD downloads and other junk, the portion that's left for your recordings is estimated to hold either 200 hours of SD, or 30 hours of HD, or some combination of the two. The thing that's confusing you is that there are two numbers. Think of it this way. If 200SD = 30HD then each hour of HD uses the same space as 6.67 hours of SD. So if you record 1 hour of HD, then you would see both counters will reduce by 1/30th. So you'll see 193.3SD, 29HD remaining.

The amounts will never be "accurate" because compression efficiency varies from one program to another.

You're getting confused because there are two numbers. To add to the confusion, they are both estimates. In actuality it works exactly how you think it should.

Your 622 has a 350GB drive, a certain part of this is reserved for VOD downloads and other junk, the portion that's left for your recordings is estimated to hold either 200 hours of SD, or 30 hours of HD, or some combination of the two. The thing that's confusing you is that there are two numbers. Think of it this way. If 200SD = 30HD then each hour of HD uses the same space as 6.67 hours of SD. So if you record 1 hour of HD, then you would see both counters will reduce by 1/30th. So you'll see 193.3SD, 29HD remaining.

The amounts will never be "accurate" because compression efficiency varies from one program to another.
Nothing confusing about it. You record a HD show it should come off the 30 hours available not both time limits . When You record a SD show it should come off the 200 hours available. Plain and simple. Nothing confusing about it. or just set up so where you have 230 hours of recordings all together so you can record how ever HD and SD shows you want not just 30 hours for HD and 200 hours for SD.

Nothing confusing about it. You record a HD show it should come off the 30 hours available not both time limits . When You record a SD show it should come off the 200 hours available. Plain and simple. Nothing confusing about it. or just set up so where you have 230 hours of recordings all together so you can record how ever HD and SD shows you want not just 30 hours for HD and 200 hours for SD.

HD and SD take up different amounts of space per time. I would've thought that was obvious, but apparently not for everybody.

The HD hours available is for 100% HD recording and the SD hours available are for 100% SD recording, but they are recorded on the same partition, so when they are mixed it reduces the time for both types of recording.

Assuming HD takes 4X the HDD space as SD, recording 1 hour of HD should reduce HD time by 1 hour AND SD time by 4 hours, because say we have 200GB of video storage and the HD program takes 4GB and SD takes 1GB, any and all recordings naturally reduce total available space on the recodring partition.

There is no seperate HD partition and a seperate SD partition , it's all one partition shared.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)