vip 622 Inferior to 942?

smokejoe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
CES photos and data state vip622 has only 2 tuners. (942 has 3)
It appears they have eliminated the OTA tuner and thus, the ability to record - or even pause OTA broadcasts.
If true, I'll dump Dish.

smokejoe said:
CES photos and data state vip622 has only 2 tuners. (942 has 3)
It appears they have eliminated the OTA tuner and thus, the ability to record - or even pause OTA broadcasts.
If true, I'll dump Dish.

First of all, the 942 does not have three tuners. Who told you it had three tuners? The description on DISH's website even calls it a "two-tuner satellite receiver." If you are referring to the OTA tuner, that is never referred to as a "third tuner" and does NOT make the 942 a "three-tuner satellite receiver."

As far as OTA on the 622, you obviously didn't look very hard at the photos.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/61/cat/502

It CLEARLY says "receives and records off-air digital/HD broadcasts."

Last edited:
I Stand Corrected - Happily

I thought it must have 3 tuners to record 2 Sat and 1 OTA channels at the same time.
Rather than the cited flyer, the actual vip622 package (on DBSTalk.com) states '2 satellite tuners' and 'view OTA broadcasts'. It does not state 'record OTA' anywhere.
Regardless, I thank Chad for pointing out the flyer and hope it is accurate.

Last edited:
smokejoe said:
Chad is correct - Dish calls 942 'dual tuner'. I thought it must have 3 tuners to record 2 Sat and 1 OTA channels at the same time.
Rather than the cited flyer, the actual vip622 package (on DBSTalk.com) states '2 satellite tuners' and 'view OTA broadcasts'. It does not state 'record OTA' anywhere.
Regardless, I thank Chad for the correction on the 942 and hope the 622 flyer is accurate.

miss information on dbstalks is very common:(

I will disagree on calling the 942 just a 'Two tuner satellite receiver'.

I can record three things simultaneously, two satellite streams and one OTA digital stream. That makes three tuners in my book, two sat and one OTA. :)

The question from me is can the 622 record three streams at once like the 942 can?

'The ViP622 has three tuners'.

"The ViP622 will have three tuners. Two satellite and one OTA. The OTA will be digital only."
Quote from DBSTalk assistant moderator.
Others on that site believe that E* data to the contrary are erroneous and that, like 942, 622 will record and pause OTA broadcasts.

garys said:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/61/cat/502
From this photo from the CES show, Features of the VIP 622, it clearly states :"Receives and Records off-air Digital/HD broadcasts."

Garys, did you read the thread before you posted? I posted that exact link and that exact quote more than 7 hours before you did. There is no reason to repeat what has already been said; it just clutters the thread.

smokejoe said:
"The ViP622 will have three tuners. Two satellite and one OTA. The OTA will be digital only."
Quote from DBSTalk assistant moderator.
Others on that site believe that E* data to the contrary are erroneous and that, like 942, 622 will record and pause OTA broadcasts.

Smokejoe, I see where you got confused. For the record, the 622 and similar dual-tuner receivers with an OTA tuner are referred to as "dual-tuners" and not any form of the word "three." Hopefully, we cleared up the confusion. :)

Two Tv Outputs. Since both tv outputs are capable of doing SD then that would be two SD tuners right? Then an HD tuner for the first Tv output, then the OTA digital tuner? That would make four right? Or is the HD tuner considered one having a combination of HD/SD in one?

Stargazer said:
Two Tv Outputs. Since both tv outputs are capable of doing SD then that would be two SD tuners right? ...

No, that would be two SD modulators.

A tuner selects an OTA, cable, or satellite RF stream and demodulates it and extracts the video and audio for processing and display. The 942 and the 622 each have two satellite tuners and one OTA tuner. They are referred to by Dish as two tuner satellite receivers - that doesn't change the fact that they also have an OTA ATSC tuner.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)