VIP-622 - is ethernet port working yet?

AdamGott

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
(I have tried searching the forums but ethernet is a popular word!)

I have recently upgraded to a second HDTV and moved my 'good' tv to the basement. The 'good' tv is hooked up to a 942 and the new tv is hooked up to a 622. I would like to upgrade the 942 and will probably do so eventually although I am holding out for a free upgrade (about to give that up though I guess). If I get a second 622 can I hook them up via ethernet and program share? I know that this was an announced feature at one point but I can't remember if this one saw the light of day.

And I'm not sure when or if we'll see program sharing like that.

We should "soon" see external USB storage for the ViP622. After that is up and more or less running, they will later allow programs stored on the external device to be shared with other ViP units on that account. So maybe one day we'll be able to offload a program from one ViP onto an external hard disk and then carry that hard disk to another ViP and watch it there. We'll probably see this before we see any sharing over the ethernet. And I doubt we'll see either way of sharing any time "soon."

I think the first thing the activated ethernet will do is allow remote programming of the ViP. Later, downloading of movies as PPV with perhaps a few freebies. HD movies will not likely download in real time for most people. I don't recall any promises of sharing over the ethernet, although that would seem possible. In effect, a whole house DVR.

One of the "demo" items at the Dish convention was the ability to hook up a raid device via ethernet. You could then upload and download programs to it. You could upload on one 622 and then download on another. There was some talk of being able to play directly over the ethernet from the raid device, but you would have to upload first, there was no talk of direct 622 to 622.

Direct 622 to 622 would probably be too much because you know someone would try to record 3 programs at once, have 2 TVs watching prerecorded shows and have remote 622s trying to watch programs at the same time.

They've "shown" and "demo'd" a lot. That doesn't mean those proto-products will ever see the light of day.

You can do that already with AT&T Homezone. It is just a rebadged Vip622. At least that's what they advertise, haven't heard the reviews yet. It is advertised you can remotely schedule recordings via internet and wireless phone.

"It is just a rebadged Vip622" - wrong ! It is hardware based on DP962 ( aka ViP622 ) but have TOTALLY different SW[FW] written by 2WIRE.

[Check facts, fast typing, heh ?]

Dish does indeed show a lot of things, and has a spotty record actually delivering them...

I would love to see them offer the internet movie on demand feature they demonstrated, the USB hard drive, and the ability to use a raid server over ethernet too.

The 622 HD Homezone has been launched. Currently, the ethernet port is used for connectivity to the 2Wire Residential Gateway (DSL modem / router / wireless access point). This allows for web based services (movie showtimes, internet radio, downloadable movies, & web remote access).

The web remote access allows you to sign into your web based account and view the EPG & schedule recordings on your DVR. Also, you can queue movies for download.

Cell phones with WAP 2.0 browsers & internet connectivity can be used to schedule programing as well, however the interface is not as freindly as the standard version. You can't see the EPG, you can only search for shows & record or not.

Rock 'n' Roll,

- JTC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)