VIP 622 modulator output levels ??

brantlew

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Austin, TX
I looked through the manual but can't find the specs that quote the output signal level of the 622 home distribution modulator. Does anybody know this number (in dB)?

I posted those numbers a while ago. You may want to do a search. If I find them, I'll post them again.

Awesome! Thanks a bunch.

Here's a follow up - I have a question out to Eagle Aspen tech support but they haven't answered yet. Based on this spec.

http://www.eagleaspen.com/admin/product/fujian/file_230.pdf

the Super Home Node introduces 7dB loss per output for the modulated signal. There is also listed a 2dB amplification gain for antenna input but it is unclear whether that is a +2 gain for each output or just for the original signal. Does anybody know what the antenna gain/loss per output of the Super Home Node is?

The way I read it is that there is a 2 dB gain in the antenna input. Does that translate to +2 dB gain on each output? I don't know. I'd say try it first and see how it goes. If it doesn't work you may just need an amp.

The way I read it is that there is a 2 dB gain in the antenna input. Does that translate to +2 dB gain on each output? I don't know. I'd say try it first and see how it goes. If it doesn't work you may just need an amp.

I'm waiting to hear back from tech support for the answer to this riddle.

Either way though I think I will pass on the Super Home Node because it doesn't amplify the modulator input signal which based on my calculations is something that I will need.

If you look at the PDF file, slide 14 they say: "Antenna to RX +3 dB gain". So it looks like the 2+ or 3+ gain goes to all outputs.

That sounds reasonable. I wonder why the Eagle Aspen specs do not allude to this? Now I understand where the mistake on page 6 comes from. They have the Super Home Node gain listed as +3. But actually it should be a -7 for the example they are conveying. The end calculation of -0.5db for channel 69 correctly assumes the -7db loss instead of a +3.

Thanks again for all the help.

WOW!!
This a a very technical explanation of why I had to Combine my Modulated signal with my antenna into the antenna/CATV port in order to get it to work.

I may just add an amplifier to the Modulated output and see if I can get it to work correctly.

This place and the people here continue to amaze me with the level of knowledge that is available.

Thanks for the explanation,
cegarrett

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)