VIP 622 parts

clinker

Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
US
I too own a VIP622. It's been trouble free all this time.

However, during a move, the hired moving crew smashed the plastic front cover to pieces! Looked like they whacked it with a ball peen hammer. The company gave me $100 off the move charges to settle. I know, I shoulda asked for a new one.

So, we plugged it in and the thing powered up and blip, went off. My son pulled the cover and found a power board that has a fuse - blown. Replaced it, blows
again.

So as an experiment, I'd like to obtain a different power board to try. And maybe a new plastic front cover.

Are there any of these units around that can be had for parts?

Anyway, we own it and really don't wish to lease another unit.

We'll move to Direct if this project goes any further south.

Frankly, there is no $$ advantage to owning it vs. leasing. I'd call Dish Tech. Support, describe my situation, and discuss the options.

Try eBay for a dud unit, maybe one with a defective HDD, that you can scavange for parts. It's a crap shoot however. You may or may not be successful swapping-out boards. It's something I might try myself however. Good luck with the project...

Welcome, BTW...

That'll teach em.

LOL.

But seriously....

Before I call and have the Dish guys install a new antenna here, I'd really like to try.

I scoured the forums and there should be scads of 622's laying around for parts.

I got a good one and hated to lose it and the shows we kept recorded.

The board doesn't appear to be difficult to replace. Just screws and plug ins.

Kinda like old Curtis Mathis TV's. Pull the bad circuit board and plug in a new one.

LOL.

But seriously....

Before I call and have the Dish guys install a new antenna here, I'd really like to try.

I scoured the forums and there should be scads of 622's laying around for parts.

I got a good one and hated to lose it and the shows we kept recorded.

The board doesn't appear to be difficult to replace. Just screws and plug ins.

Kinda like old Curtis Mathis TV's. Pull the bad circuit board and plug in a new one.

Have you simply checked to see if when he smashed in the front, it bent in a piece of metal that's now touching an electrical trace on a circuit board and shorting it out?

You might be able to find it, bend it away from the board, and fix the problem yourself.

Call up sign up for the DISH service plan and have the receiver replaced for $15.

5 months from now call up and cancel the DISH service plan. You will still be ahead the $100 the movers gave you. :D

Have you simply checked to see if when he smashed in the front, it bent in a piece of metal that's now touching an electrical trace on a circuit board and shorting it out?

You might be able to find it, bend it away from the board, and fix the problem yourself.

I agree with primestart31 that the problem likely isn't in the power supply board but somewhere in the damaged front section. I have repaired electronics since the late '60s, tho I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Of course, either way, getting a 622 with a bad hard drive sounds like the way to go, at least for a learning experience. MANY years ago I was taking a VCR repair class but learned more about them (than I did from the class) after a friend gave me one that had taken a shotgun blast to the front. I dumped all the pieces/parts out on a picnic table and spent a week with superglue putting the jigsaw back together. I only had to buy the nixe (sp?) tube readout display and then used it for years (it even had a corded remote!). I still miss that popsicle stick used to eject the tape :D

Phil

IF your patient and really want to play keep your eye on eBay, you will find some non working listings or some leased receivers that can't be activated.

That won't help you NOW but if you want to play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts