VIP 622 Questions

jtrippe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Wetumpka, Alabama
I just got Dish's offer to upgrade to an HD DVR and no extra cost. I currently have a VIP 211 with Classic Gold and HD. I've heard that the receiver I would get is the 622. I have several questions about the 622:

1. Does it have an OTA tuner? If so, is it better than the 211? The 211 doesn't have the best OTA tuner.
2. Is it a dual tuner so that I can watch tv in multiple rooms?

I have also heard that some people are actually getting the 722 out of this deal as most installers don't have 622s anymore. Please answer the above questions for the 722 as well.

Thank you in advance for your response.

It does have OTA tuner Yes, Is it better then a 211, Who knows?
The 622 does do 2 rooms 1 HD and 1 SD, Problem is in Dual mode if you want to record something and watch something else at the same time , the 2nd TV has to watch what your recording.
This isn't a problem for me since my 622 feeds both my bedroom and my youngest daughters room, and my 722 I only use in single mode, my 211 with an external hard drives is in my oldest daughters room.
If Dish says your getting a 622, 95% chance you are. If you want a 722, demand one.

But the 622 can pause, rewind, live tv in 2 rooms at the same time. You can record in 2 rooms too, But like I said 1 room has to be picked to record too. But you can also use it in single mode and record up to 3 different show at once. 1 OTA 2 Satellite.

It does have OTA tuner Yes, Is it better then a 211, Who knows?
The 622 does do 2 rooms 1 HD and 1 SD, Problem is in Dual mode if you want to record something and watch something else at the same time , the 2nd TV has to watch what your recording.
This isn't a problem for me since my 622 feeds both my bedroom and my youngest daughters room, and my 722 I only use in single mode, my 211 with an external hard drives is in my oldest daughters room.
If Dish says your getting a 622, 95% chance you are. If you want a 722, demand one.

But the 622 can pause, rewind, live tv in 2 rooms at the same time. You can record in 2 rooms too, But like I said 1 room has to be picked to record too. But you can also use it in single mode and record up to 3 different show at once. 1 OTA 2 Satellite.

Not exactly. It's true that if you are recording on TV2 then that's what you have to watch (in Dual mode) in the other room. But when you set the record timer, you can select which tuner to use. So if you want to always assure that you can watch anything you want on TV2 you can set the preferences to TV1 record preference. Then the only time TV2 will be tied up is if it's recording 2 things at the same time.

Not exactly. It's true that if you are recording on TV2 then that's what you have to watch (in Dual mode) in the other room. But when you set the record timer, you can select which tuner to use. So if you want to always assure that you can watch anything you want on TV2 you can set the preferences to TV1 record preference. Then the only time TV2 will be tied up is if it's recording 2 things at the same time.
Then your TV1 is compromised. Nomatter what in Dual mode , 1 Room is watching the recording, how ever you want to slice it.

I was thinking about taking Dish's deal on the 622 and keeping the VIP 211(with add. monthly fee) for tailgaiting at football games. When Dish offers these upgrades do they make you exchange the old receiver or can you keep it and just pay the $7 extra per month.? Also, do I have to have a phone line connected? I don't have an outlet anywhere near my main tv.

I was hoping the 622 would have a better OTA tuner. Maybe I will get the 722 like some people who got this deal and, since it's newer, will have a better OTA tuner. Does the 722 come with an OTA tuner or do you have to add the module?

Thanks for the responses.

I was thinking about taking Dish's deal on the 622 and keeping the VIP 211(with add. monthly fee) for tailgaiting at football games. When Dish offers these upgrades do they make you exchange the old receiver or can you keep it and just pay the $7 extra per month.? Also, do I have to have a phone line connected? I don't have an outlet anywhere near my main tv.

I was hoping the 622 would have a better OTA tuner. Maybe I will get the 722 like some people who got this deal and, since it's newer, will have a better OTA tuner. Does the 722 come with an OTA tuner or do you have to add the module?

Thanks for the responses.
Need to get the models straight. There are three dual/two tv DVRs, 622/722 and 722K

The 622/722 are identical except for color and HD size. Nothing at all wrong with either built in OTA tuner. Optional OTA dual tuner for 722K module has had some problems, but mostly caused by incorrect installation.

Need to get the models straight. There are three dual/two tv DVRs, 622/722 and 722K

The 622/722 are identical except for color and HD size. Nothing at all wrong with either built in OTA tuner. Optional OTA dual tuner for 722K module has had some problems, but mostly caused by incorrect installation.

I did not realize that. Thanks. The replies to the thread about the deal all claim that Dish is out of 622s and 722s and are actually sending 722ks. Dish offers HD locals in my area so I guess I could just use my tv's OTA tuner for the other channels and not add the OTA module.

I did not realize that. Thanks. The replies to the thread about the deal all claim that Dish is out of 622s and 722s and are actually sending 722ks. Dish offers HD locals in my area so I guess I could just use my tv's OTA tuner for the other channels and not add the OTA module.
The nice thing about the OTA module is that it has two tuners, so you can record four programs at a time as long as two of them are OTA and two Sat.

The OTA tuners cannot tune sat channels, so if you do not get the ota module, you do not get to record four sat channels at the same time.

I just called and Dish offered me the 722, not the (k) version. I can't imagine me wanting to record that many programs at the same time so this is a good deal for me. I will keep my 211 and use it with my extra dish for tailgaiting.

HELP Can't watch HD while recording another in HD

I was going to start a new topic but since this one is here, I will try it.

HELP!.
I moved and went from Comcast (Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD-DVR) to DISH.
I have a 722 receiver and can't figure out how to record a show in HD while watching another show in HD.
Am I missing something or did I screw up by changing to Dish instead of DirecTV.

The picture quality is great and AAD-DNS gives me the networks in HD. So far they are wonderful compared to what I have seen of AAD's networks in SD.

With all the positive comments here as to DISH and the 722, I assumed it could at least do what my 4 year old Comcast box could do.

Also, someone pointed out in another topic that the 622 has S-VHS outputs and the 722 does not. In case you wanted to send something to a stand alone SD DVR. It does have composite video output.

THANKS

Last edited:
I have a 722 receiver and can't figure out how to record a show in HD while watching another show in HD.Am I missing something or did I screw up by changing to Dish instead of DirecTV.

With all the positive comments here as to DISH and the 722, I assumed it could at least do what my 4 year old Comcast box could do.

Get out your manual. Enable Record Plus to TV2. Then you can watch live on TV1.

Also, someone pointed out in another topic that the 622 has S-VHS outputs and the 722 does not. In case you wanted to send something to a stand alone SD DVR. It does have composite video output.

722 does have S-VHS. HOWEVER, the newer 722K does not. People need to be more careful to differentiate the two when discussing.

Get out your manual. Enable Record Plus to TV2. Then you can watch live on TV1. .
Will the live tv be HD on TV1?
Sorry, but they are having to mail me a manual. I am reading and making notes from the online manual. Long story, short version: Install took over 4 hours, no coax to run. Dish employee did install. New Dish and LNB assembly. 119 fired up. SD box came to life on CH202 but 622 and 211 boxes would lock up after hitting Sat 119 only. House was pre wired and originally had Dish SD. Finally ran coax direct from LNB to the 211. Still lock up. New LNB head assembly solved that problem. But 622 box still was locking up. Now direct from LNB to 622, still lock up. SO 1/2 hour later he has permission to upgrade to 722K. Now all works and it's 5:30. In the confusion, the 211 Manual was left in the den with the 722K and the 622 & 722K manuals went out the door with all the boxes to his truck..[/QUOTE]

722 does have S-VHS. HOWEVER, the newer 722K does not. People need to be more careful to differentiate the two when discussing.
Sorry, I did not know there were 2 versions, I just saw someone elses post about no SVHS on 722 and loooked at mine and also saw no SVHS.

I ended up taking the deal and got a 622. I also took a splitter off of my OTA setup and have the attic antenna sent directly to my 622. My signal strengths on the 622 without the splitter seem to be worse than the 211 with several rooms hooked up to a splitter. I thought that was strange.

Raise volume on 722K

KAB, you seem to have the answers so maybe you or someone can answer this.

Can you raise the volume on the 722K like you could on the old boxes?

My typical volume setting on my Sony STR-DE998 for the tuner or DVD player is 50 to 52. Same for the SA-8300 HD-DVR I use to have and the Dish SD 3900 I once had. With the 722K I am having to push it to about 70. The problem comes in if I record something and send it to my Lite-On hard drive dvd burner. Once i edit the commercials out of, say a 2 hour tv show, then burn that to a DVD, the volume is too low when I play back the DVD on my SONY 1080P upconverting player. I had this issue twice with the SA-8300 and power outages caused it to reset to a volume level that was about 80% of full volume. Find the right menu, turn it back up to full volume and all was ok.
Thanks

I know of no current generation Dish Network receiver that has a volume control. Wish they still did!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)