VIP 622 Several Issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

meonline01

Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
I have the following setup:
VIP-611 (w/ HD programming)
Denon AVR 987 receiver
Aqous 1080p LCD TV

Issue 1:
When watching any HD channel, I have to turn up the volume quite a but. However when you change to a regular channel, and don't turn down the volume first, everyone in room jumps up in the air!
Is this a known issue?

Issue 2:
Curerntly I have the 622 HDMI output through the Denon for great sound when watching movies and such. However, I would also like to use the component outputs directly to the TV so that one can watch tv using without the Denon. This would be simpler for my dad since all he wants to do is turn on the tv watch news.

When I hook up the component cables, the picture is really dark blue and red. I tried unhooking the HDMI also, but to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Issue 2:

check your component cables, to make sure you didn't cross weirs. usually thats why colors are mest up

Issue #1, that's the way things are with sound on HD vs. SD. HD channels typically feature 5.1 Dolby Digital sound, which has a much wider dynamic range than the stereo sound for SD channels. The wider range has more room between the softer whispers and the loud explosions for example, while SD channels typically use audio with a much more compressed dynamic range that seems to be all over the map. Some times, the audio lies somewhere in the middle of the volume chart, while other stations, or even programming/commercials, tend to live on the loud side. When watching my locals in HD, its gotten to the point where I can instantly tell when the local station switches from HD to the local SD for local commercials; I instinctively grab the remote to mute the sound because it is usually quite loud.

So, it has nothing to do with your equipment, but more to do with the variance in audio support.

Thanks all to the replies...

volkodav: I'll check the cables to see if it is the wires getting crossed. Will feel funny if it is.

griz_fan:
Glad to know its not equipment issues! I couldn't believe the amount of settings you can change on these receivers! Thought maybe I set something wrong. I guess I'll just need to get into the habit of muting!

vegassatellite:
Umm... I never was a good story teller... everyone just looked at me with confusion!

Thanks all to the replies...

volkodav: I'll check the cables to see if it is the wires getting crossed. Will feel funny if it is.

griz_fan:
Glad to know its not equipment issues! I couldn't believe the amount of settings you can change on these receivers! Thought maybe I set something wrong. I guess I'll just need to get into the habit of muting!

vegassatellite:
Umm... I never was a good story teller... everyone just looked at me with confusion!

For the sound issue . . . you can go into the setup menu for Digital and select "pcm only". You will have to sacrifice Dolby Digital but I have found the surround you still get with it is acceptable IMHO and then you won't have to deal with the sound difference. Just my 2 cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)