VIP 622/Switch problem

edpkp81

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
Lake Ariel, PA
I have a Dish 500 for 110 and 119 and a second 500 for 61.5. They are run to a DP34 switch which feeds a VIP622 and two other SD receivers. This morning I received an message on my screen stating there is a switch problem and to run 'Check Switch'. I did this and received the following:

Sat 1 input - 110 - red X, 119 (says Conn) - X, 61.5 OK
Sat 2 input - OK for 110,119 and 61.5

I switched the connections for sat 1 and 2 inputs on the back of the 622 and receive the same results as stated above, ie., no problems on Sat 2 input. This leads me to think I have a problem with the the Sat 1 input on my 622.

I called tech support, reported what I stated above and he seemed to think it is a switch problem and not a 622 problem. Does this sound right?

Could be the line from the switch to input 1, Dish for 110/119 slightly off or a bad switch. Try running lines for 110/119 directly to receiver and get results. Also try switching lines connected to input 1 and input 2 and see is result transfer to other tuner. And run different line to input one to see if wire/end on that line. If problem moves or stays the same could help narrow down to the problem. Good luck.

I concur with your conclusion. If you have the time and parts, you could temporarily go direct to the Twin with the ViP622 and cut the switch out entirely.

Could be the line from the switch to input 1, Dish for 110/119 slightly off or a bad switch. Try running lines for 110/119 directly to receiver and get results. Also try switching lines connected to input 1 and input 2 and see is result transfer to other tuner. And run different line to input one to see if wire/end on that line. If problem moves or stays the same could help narrow down to the problem. Good luck.

I have a good signal on 110 and 119 on my other SD receivers as well as on Sat input 2 on the 622. I switched the lines connected to input 1 and 2. Problem did not move. Also switched lines coming off switch and again problem remained on Sat input 1 on 622.

Thanks for your input.

I concur with your conclusion. If you have the time and parts, you could temporarily go direct to the Twin with the ViP622 and cut the switch out entirely.

Thanks your input. I have a tech coming tomorrow. I've only had the 622 for a month and a half and am not too happy losing all that has been DVR's.

If you swapped inputs on the 622 and you get the same results each time, your switch is looks to be fine, and it could be input one on the receiver. A couple of things to try are, disconnect the input lines from the dish to the 34 switch. A lot of times if the switch is mounted outside the, a lot of times the connections get coroded and they start to rust. Also check the output lines to the receivers as well.

I've swapped every line I can think of with the same results - errors on Sat 1 input. I am getting 80-90's SS on Sat input 2 as well as on my other two SD receivers. I'm afraid I'll be getting a replacement 622 which means all my recordings will be gone.

A couple of things to try:

a) Put 119 on port 1, 110 on port 2 and 61.5 on port 3 of the switch. Run check switch on all receivers.

b) Clear the switch matrix. Disconnect the satellite feed and run check switch. Connect satellite feed and run check switch again.

If none of that works, you have a bad satellite tuner in the 622.

Check your connections at the 34 switch, your looking for rust. It might not be as bad as it seems.

A couple of things to try:

a) Put 119 on port 1, 110 on port 2 and 61.5 on port 3 of the switch. Run check switch on all receivers.

b) Clear the switch matrix. Disconnect the satellite feed and run check switch. Connect satellite feed and run check switch again.
If none of that works, you have a bad satellite tuner in the 622.

Tried all of this. When I switched the ports for 110 and 119, the same errors showed up just they were on the switched ports.

I disconnected all lines at the switch and found no rust. All indications seem to lead towards a faulty Sat 1 input on the 622.

This morning I disconnected and re-connected all cables and, lo and behold, everything is working fine. I cancelled the tech's visit and pray it's not an intermittent problem.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)