Vip 622

jb1945

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Sacramento, California
I am about to order Dish for one HD and SD tv. It is my understanding I will receive one box (622 & recorder) which will also provide separate tuning for the SD tv in another room. My house is wired for cable in the typical configuration: coax from several rooms leads to a box in the garage where it is attached to the TV input. Question: is another coax required between my HD and SD tvs? Boy, I'll bet that is a dumb question.

You will have to hook a cable from the receiver to the other TVs, but it can certainly run through the garage. You can even split the TV feed there and run to several rooms (all watching one of the same two channels, tho).

If the cable is the right kind (RG-6 swept to 2150MHz or more), it can be shared with the satellite signal and TV feeds using diplexers.

Make sure you order from a LOCAL GUY whos installerrs have an IQ above 60. If you order directly from Dish or anyone else "out of town", you're going to get installed by a DNSC hack, and damn few of them have IQs greater than their shoe size. A few good ones post here, but they're a rare breed.

Thanks for the information. I do not know what a "diplexer" nor "DNSC" is. They are not in the Glossary. Does a diplexer allow the existing cable to be used for sending information to the second TV? Also, how does one find a good local installer?

A diplexer allows for UHF/VHF/CATV signals to be combined with satellite signals on the same coax. This allows you to only have 1 coax run into each room.

DNSC is "Dish Network Service Corp." the arm of E* that does in-house installs using horribly underpaid and usually bad installers. Rule of thumb is once an installer actually knows what he's doing, he goes to work for someone that pays a reasonable rate. For example, Colo. Spgs. starts at $11 an hour and it might go to $15. An average installer can make twice that working for a retailer, and a good one with some sales skills does even better.

Thanks for the input. The installer issue sounds logical. My local yellow pages lists many businesses installing satellite TV. Any way to determine which to deal with or to avoid other than running them all through the BBB?

Ask around of course, but a couple of good indicators are how long they've been in business (3+ years is good), and how friendly they are.

I called a local installer. They had two locations in town and seemed to have been around for a few years. Explained what I wanted, the guy on the phone seemed ok. When I got to the part of a referral from another Dish customer he said he couldn't handle that. He referred me to the national line. Called them on Friday, installed on Tuesday by a Dish installer who was very good. Placed the dish 1000 on a roof tile mount (which was news to me), fished the cable through the garage wall and set up both TVs. The only two items that were less than excellent but not really complaints: 1. Promised time was noon to 5 pm, he arrived at 10 minutes to 5. 2. He was unable to find the code to make my Sony surround sound system work off of the 622 remote.

At least he hit his service window.

As far as your Sony system goes, you probably need to change the remote mode on the A/V receiver from AVMODE1 to AVMODE2. Check the manual for the receiver; if you don't have it, they're available on Sony's web site.

Thanks for the advice, but I was not able to locate avmode on my system. I have the manual. The system I have is a Sony DAV-FR8, DVD player and surround sound system. The Comcast remote was able to control it. I went through the Dish remote set up procedures for the VCR mode and AUX mode using all the codes listed and then did each using the search all codes procedure. Nothing worked. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to avoid a call to Dish for help.

I have a DAV-FC8 system.

I gave up and bought a harmony 880 which does everything, sony dvr and sound, tv and 622. Others also have used them and like them a lot. I got mine off of ebay for $167 in march, but see one there for $142 on buy it now.

So...are you telling me the 622 remote WILL NOT work with the Sony DVD player? Seems strange since the Comcast remote did just fine. I'm sure the Harmony is nice piece of equipment but $150 to replace the function of one button seems excessive to me. I'll call Dish. I'm sure they will send me one for free to keep a new customer happy!!!

Called dish. The nice fellow in India was not trained to answer questions about the 622. He transferred me to an American sounding guy who informed me that it just ain't gunna work. The codes are not in the system and there is no promise they will be in the future. I can live with that but it just seems odd that Comcast can do it and Dish cannot. Funny, no one offered the free harmony 880.

Google is your friend, although the results aren't always what you want. The guys at Remote Central report that Sony changed the remote codes on the Dream systems. It's not even in any of the Sony remotes. They suggested a learning remote.

jb1945 said:
Called dish. The nice fellow in India was not trained to answer questions about the 622. He transferred me to an American sounding guy who informed me that it just ain't gunna work. The codes are not in the system and there is no promise they will be in the future. I can live with that but it just seems odd that Comcast can do it and Dish cannot. Funny, no one offered the free harmony 880.

Why would they offer anyone a new Harmony remote? E* doesn't manufacture or sell them. (If this continued sarcasm, I don't get it. Nor the previous one either).

When I got to the part of a referral from another Dish customer he said he couldn't handle that.
Not all local retailers have brains. :(

It's NOT hard to create an account using Club Theft. I say "theft" because when you use one, the RETAILER is the one that pays, not Dish. :(

However, while we don't make as much money on them, we still DO make money, so he was a fool to turn you down.