VIP 722 4K sector HDD

According to WD you will have problems because you cannot format the 4K disk in a USB enclosure: Installing an Advanced Format WD drive into a third party USB enclosure
My reading of your URL is that WD does not support the Acronis utility on 3rd party USB enclosures, since some of them might not work. I used it without a problem on my 3rd party USB enclosure, which was one of those Fantom USB/eSATA jobs. The trouble here is that the receiver will try to reformat it again using internal firmware. Whether that firmware can make sense of 4K sectors is anybody's guess.

I wasn't thinking of using an enclosure. I was going to use a SATA to USB adapter and a power supply. Either that or a docking station. I haven't been able to get a definitive answer from DN, not surprising. I've been told it will work and it might or might not.

I won't do more than 1 HDD. I don't really even want to buy another one, that's why I want to make sure the HDD will work first.

I wasn't thinking of using an enclosure. I was going to use a SATA to USB adapter and a power supply. Either that or a docking station. I haven't been able to get a definitive answer from DN, not surprising. I've been told it will work and it might or might not.

Whether you use an enclosure or not it's still involves USB and the situation is the same.

So, if the drive is already formatted ext3, I was told elsewhere that was the DN drive format, the receiver will still reformat the drive? What about installing the drive internally and letting the receiver format the drive? I'm guessing it won't work because there must be partitions for the O/S and guide but I don't really know much about this stuff.

Last edited:
What gain is that

So, if the drive is already formatted ext3, I was told elsewhere that was the DN drive format, the receiver will still reformat the drive? What about installing the drive internally and letting the receiver format the drive? I'm guessing it won't work because there must be partitions for the O/S and guide but I don't really know much about this stuff.

Even if it could do that what would you be gaining? Sure won't be much if any space. And yes the E* unit will reformat it to put it's "tags" into it. It ties it to your acct info.

Another web post I found, and didn't bookmark. stated the Linux kernel had to be 2.6.3 or higher to cope with the 4k sectors. I have no idea what kernel Dish is using.

Alright, after getting DN to tell me they would refund the fee if the drive didn't work I went for it. It took a couple of tries to get the receiver to find the drive for some reason but it found and formatted my 1TB WD green 4K sector drive. I copied a show to the drive and watched part of it.

Horray. After what I've read here and elsewhere about the 4K drives I didn't really expect it to work.

+1

Alright, after getting DN to tell me they would refund the fee if the drive didn't work I went for it. It took a couple of tries to get the receiver to find the drive for some reason but it found and formatted my 1TB WD green 4K sector drive. I copied a show to the drive and watched part of it.

Horray. After what I've read here and elsewhere about the 4K drives I didn't really expect it to work.

:up:up See that didn't really hurt.

If the receiver has a 500GB HDD and it only uses 2GB per hour to record, how come it only holds 55 hours? I know the O/S and guide use some but it can't be anywhere near that much.

If the receiver has a 500GB HDD and it only uses 2GB per hour to record, how come it only holds 55 hours? I know the O/S and guide use some but it can't be anywhere near that much.
It holds more than 55 hours. That rating was made when MPEG2 was prevalent. But with MPEG4, add about 25-30% to it. Mine is almost full and close to 75 hrs.

An update for you samijubal. I added up the hours on my 722K HD...73 hrs, 10 of them OTA, and 17+ hours still available. Would probably get close to 100 if I were to call it that close, but I probably won't. I started to chuckle about these folks with 2T drives....if they fill them up, they probably will never watch all the stuff anyway. And if the drive tanks, they won't watch any of it. I think it's silly to go more than 1T.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts