VIP 722 and general dish network question

vivithemage

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
MPLS
I want to get a vip 722...I was reading it has an OTA module installed? So would I NEED to pay the extra 5$ a month for local channels from dish?

Also, I currently have a 625 dish and it works great...but I want an upgrade to 722. My 24 month contract came up in November...can I hope in on this promotion from here :

https://www.satellitesales.com/order-dish.php?page=order-dish

Also, is the 722 interface relatively the same? I LOVE the 625..it works great, smooth/easy to use.

I figure id save the 5$ charge by hooking the receiver up to my Ethernet also, as they charge 5$ extra per month because I cannot.

Also, can I get the 722 and not pay for the HD Enable fee, and any HD channels? I want to wait a bit...and at least have OTA HD stuff via the OTA tuner.

The 722 has an ASTC (digital) tuner. If you do not subscribe to locals, you will not get program information in the guide. All it will show is "Digital Service". Unless you want to mess around with making manual timers, subscribe to the locals. You will need to call Dish. Yes, the interface is basically the same.

If you have an antenna you can get you locals OTA with the 722. But if you drop the locals on Dish to save the locals charge you will not get guide data for those locals that you get OTA which is very hard to deal with..

As far as the broadband, yes it works just like the phone line to save the xtra $5.00 charge.

The interface is the same and works pretty much just like the 625

I think only new subs can do that. The 612 upgrade isn't much if that's what you want. The 722 upgrade might be cheap for you also. Since your contract is up you could go through Retention and see what kind of deal they will give you. D* is offering a HD DVR for free currently so you could check them out. My Brother and Sister both left E* for D* recently because of the deals they were offered. Signing up for locals provides the guide info for the OTA channels as well as the sat locals. The 722K yet to be released has 2 OTA tuners instead of the single OTA tuner possessed by the 722.

Also, can I get the 722 and not pay for the HD Enable fee, and any HD channels? I want to wait a bit...and at least have OTA HD stuff via the OTA tuner.

My question on this is why would you want to pay the $7.00 HD enable fee. HD is only $10.00. That's only $3.00 more and you get all the HD that goes with your package.

My question on this is why would you want to pay the $7.00 HD enable fee. HD is only $10.00. That's only $3.00 more and you get all the HD that goes with your package.
Agreed. You're pinching pennies ridiculously.

Agreed. You're pinching pennies ridiculously.

They get you for almost everything...so pinching the pennies adds up.

Yeah, 3 bucks more gets you HD channels, right?

I can get an upgrade to the 722 for 150$...that's the lowest they'd go he said...does not seem that much worth it to get back into a 2 year contract with them...now if they would do that offer on that page I linked, i'd be more then happy to resign with them.

Why would you get an OTA ant. if you are paying for locals already?

A lot of us only get locals in HD via antenna. E* provides an OTA option on their boxes that allows you to DVR OTA, which, IMO, is great. You DO NOT have to pay for locals to get this, but if you don't, like has been said before, you don't get guide info. You can pay a couple of bucks a week for a TV guide or buy a newspaper to see what is on and set VCR-style timers, or you can pay $5.99 and have it on your TV. You don't have to give them a dime to DVR, just to get guide info.

Ahh, so you guys pay the 5$ for locals, just so it shows up in the guide? but you have an HD ant hooked up...makes sense.

Are there any sites out there for 'deals' on existing customers for dish? I just want to grab a 722...cheap....haha.

If there are two (or three) things on at once on the locals, I DVR an HD one off the antenna and an SD (or two) off the satellite. Once the locals become available on the satellite, I'll still keep the antenna for those times when I need to record three things at once.

Uh, right! $3 more bucks and you really do get HD. Dish wants your HD subscription more than the HD Enabling Fee. That's why there is very little difference in price between the HD Enabling Fee and your addition of HD channels. It's called value pricing, and it isn't always bad for the consumer.

The question is, why would anyone pay $7 a month--HD Enabling Fee--to get NOTHING instead of paying $3 more to get several HD channels. "Hmm. $7 a month thrown down the toilet or $10 a month and something to show for it? I think I'll give Dish Network my hard earned $7 a month just to show Dish that I'm a smart consumer and can deny them the extra $3 a month." (I'm not addressing those who aren't looking at 129 or who have other reasons they are paying the HD enabling Fee, just those who fancy themselves smart shoppers who think they know how to deal and get a bargain and save money by giving an Dish an extra $7 a month for pretty much nothing in return).

I would recommend that you stay with your SD boxes because you will be paying a lot of money (even if the 722 purchase is a good deal it will cost you hundreds of dollars. How economical is that? Dish gets your $$ again.) and a lot of extra money each month without adding anything of significant value, unless you are rich and money in no object. In that case, go for it. But if you really fancy yourself some kind of savvy consumer who "saves" money, the route your are choosing is a money loser. Even Suze Orman says stay with the SD you have and don't throw away your money. If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, you are much better off and will minimize your losses by shopping at garage sales. At least you would have a tacky lamp to show for it.

Last edited:
I really want the 722 because of the HD...I would be OK paying 10$ a month more for HD...and to get a new box. I can only get the 722 for 150$, which is pretty cheap since it costs 500+??

Maybe I will wait and see if D-TV or Comcast comes out with some nice promo's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)