Vip 722 Features

ff1520

Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
I'm a new E* subscriber (just swithed from D*), have a Vip722 and a Vip 222. I thought I remembered seeing that for a while dish had the ability to control the DVR remotely over the internet via the broadband connection. Has that feature been scrapped, or just still under devolopment? I also read that people are having problems with DishOnline function on the 722, the receiver locks up when selecting DishOnline? Has this function worked in the past and stopped with recent software updates? Any idea when it is to return?

Is it worth hooking my Vip222 to a broadband conneciton. What functionality will I gain?

I have also seen mention of folks who 'beta test' new software for Dish. How does one enroll in that program. I am very computer savvy and work in the electronics field (public safety wireless communications) so I have a good understanding of networking, computers and electronics in general.

Thanks

Rick

The ability to control the DVR remotely over the internet was in beta testing only. That now has ended. No word as to what's next as far as that is concerned.

I personally have never had my 722 lock up using Dish Online so I can't comment about that.

Hooking up your 722 to the broadband connection will enable you to use Dish Online features and save you the $5.00 a month fee for not plugging your box into a land line.

As far as I know, Dish does not offer a beta testing program as DirecTV does. As a former DirecTV customer, I miss the CE precess they have in place. It would be nice if Dish can do that. But Dish DVR's are much more stable in my opinion than D* anyway.

The ability to control the DVR remotely over the internet was in beta testing only. That now has ended. No word as to what's next as far as that is concerned.

I personally have never had my 722 lock up using Dish Online so I can't comment about that.

Hooking up your 722 to the broadband connection will enable you to use Dish Online features and save you the $5.00 a month fee for not plugging your box into a land line.

As far as I know, Dish does not offer a beta testing program as DirecTV does. As a former DirecTV customer, I miss the CE precess they have in place. It would be nice if Dish can do that. But Dish DVR's are much more stable in my opinion than D* anyway.

Dish does have subs who are official beta testers (not the unofficial beta testers: all subs:)), but Dish doesn't have it set it up as a formal program like Direct does. And in the last Tech Forum, they announced that they are indeed seeking customers willing to be testers of new SW and a feature and were given a number to call.

I thought I remembered seeing that for a while dish had the ability to control the DVR remotely over the internet via the broadband connection.
You could buy a SlingBox to do this if you want. As a matter of fact, I think Dish just recently bought the SlingBox company. I would not be surprised to see a merging of SlingBox functionality and Dish DVR functionality sometime in the future. The SlingBox AV and SlingBox Solo are fairly inexpensive. The Solo adds Component input connections over the AV's S-video, but as I understand it the Solo can't really stream HD content, except marginally so over a superfast LAN, so I personally don't see the point in paying extra for the Solo. I don't own a SlingBox so I'm spewing this off based on my reading, not personal experience. I am considering getting an AV, but haven't done that yet.

You could buy a SlingBox to do this if you want. As a matter of fact, I think Dish just recently bought the SlingBox company. I would not be surprised to see a merging of SlingBox functionality and Dish DVR functionality sometime in the future. The SlingBox AV and SlingBox Solo are fairly inexpensive. The Solo adds Component input connections over the AV's S-video

The Slingbox AV is on woot today. I was thinking about getting one just to remotely change the channel as long as i can hit the record button.

Oh, I see. Woot looks kind of like the internet equivalent of a TV shopping channel. I had never heard of it before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)