ViP 722 runs hot

janedo1586

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
SE Nebraska
I'm on my second ViP 722 in a week's time. First one was installed last Monday, had all kinds of problems. Wouldn't turn on again after being turned off, called tech support, they had me reset the receiver at least a dozen times, sometimes it came back, sometimes it didn't. Finally scheduled a service call to replace it, tech came out on Saturday and replaced the receiver, this one seemed to work fine. I'm in the middle of a football game, and I get a pop-up message that the receiver is operating at a high temperature (143 degrees) and needs to be turned off to prevent damage. It wouldn't turn off, as it appeared to be frozen. Unplugged it, let it cool down (put a fan on it) turned it back on, and within 15 minutes it was again almost too warm to touch. Kept the fan on it as long as it was running, but when I got up yesterday morning, it was still *very* warm after being turned off all night (with no fan on it). It's fine as long as there is a fan blowing on it, but as you can imagine the sound of a fan blowing all the time is a bit distracting. The receiver is in a cabinet, but it's not enclosed and has plenty of room for air flow. Should I call for yet another replacement or is this high operating temperature normal for these receivers? I don't particularly want to worry about my receiver burning my house down in the middle of the night. Opinions? Thanks!!

Can you put a computer fan in the cabinet to blow on it? They aren't too loud and you can get a 120v one. I think there are also USB fans that you could use.

he receiver is in a cabinet, but it's not enclosed and has plenty of room for air flow.
Unless your cabinet has holes in the back and is near a vent or cold air return, there really is no airflow. The heat just rises up to the shelf above it and hovers. Get a USB fan and hook it up to the USB port in the back (or the front if you are using an external HD) and blow the heat out from the rear.

Thanks for the info, everyone. It appears this is a common problem with this receiver. For now, I have a small fan hung on the wall behind the TV stand blowing through the space where the receiver sits. Might call Dish and see what they say about it, although I probably already know the answer.

I recently moved my 722 from an open shelf to a closed cabinet, along with a 500 gb external disk drive on a shelf below a new Onkyo TX-SR705, after adding a package of 4 very quiet 80mm fans (2 blowing in , below, and 2 out, above), and after drilling sets of holes in each of the shelves to allow upward air flow.

I'm pleased that the average reported temperature from the 722 has acutally dropped a couple of degrees, from 118 to 116.

The proper air flow through the 722 is in on the right front and out on the left side.

Position a small case fan to PULL air OUT of the left side of the receiver (that's where the power supply is).

When I did this my temperatures dropped 20 degrees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts