VIP 722K connected to internet outside US

jaggudada

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Seattle
Hi,

I live in US but for 4 days in a week I work in Canada. So, I have a receiver at US home and want to put another receiver (722k) at the Canadian apartment where I stay for 4 days. I want to connect my receiver that is in Canada to internet using the Dishnetwork WIFI adapter kit.

I know that simply hooking the receiver at the Canadian place will work but I am concerned about connecting it to internet. Will this work given that I have Canadian internet provider? Will Dishnetwork have any objection to this about the receiver being in Canada and connected to internet?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Why not get a Sling Adaptor for your 722 and watch your 722 from Canada on a laptop.... I recently watched programming on my Hopper a the Frankfurt Germany airport.....

Why not get a Sling Adaptor for your 722 and watch your 722 from Canada on a laptop.... I recently watched programming on my Hopper a the Frankfurt Germany airport.....

Watching programs on a laptop is very different from watching it on TV. Hence the reason what I want to do.

Any particular reason?
The reason is that it is illegal to receive US satellite TV service in Canada. And, it is against Dish policy (as TheKrell mentioned above) to have multiple receivers on a single Dish account active in more than one physical location. If you are going to do either (or both) of those things, you certainly don't want to let Dish know you are doing it by connecting the receiver to broadband.

On the other hand, having that second receiver not connected puts up a red flag as well, and might pique the interest of the Equipment Verification Team. Best not to try it at all.

Watching programs on a laptop is very different from watching it on TV. Hence the reason what I want to do.

Connect the laptop or tablet to the tv via hdmi. I do it at my lake house and our townhouse in Las Vegas. Stream from 722 to tablet connected to tv via HDMI. Now I have a standalone Slingbox , so I can just use my WDTV boxes connected to the tv's at those locations

Note he said to do that from a LAPTOP, not an iPad. Won't work on an iPad, unless jailbroken.

OTOH you could just download stuff from a HWS onto an iPad (& maybe an Android device down the road) if you want to take that step.

Ipad would have to have apple tv box and use airplay.

I have a Toshiba Thrive android tablet with a full size hdmi port that was using, however I bought a regular slingbox 350 a couple of weeks ago and use the sling app built into my wdtv live hub now.

I have a 722 that I travel with and frequently have it at my cottage in Canada. I only have one reciever. Dish reception is good and I even receive my locals as I am still in my US spot beam area.;however you can't use the internet connection as Dish recognizes the Canadian ISP address and blocks connection. The geo-blocking of non US ISP's will also prevents you from using US TV downloads (CBS Netflix etc) on your computer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)