ViP 722k has on demand?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dishusercan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
US
Does the VIP 722k have on demand channels like nick on demand, a&e on demand etc and how would you access them?

Just to clarify... that would be ... you need "internet access" ... dsl, cable, or other high speed option to stream content to your 722k

There's also dishonline.com which links to your main dish user account (yay security conscious morons that didn't plan for kids and non-priveledged users) ... it mirrors much of your allowed dish content/package and more ... its basically like Hulu (in fact at least some if not all of the content is coming from there) though the finer details of it are a mix moshpit of things..

ie. I've got EPIX .. but I'd have to "upgrade" to get access to Epix through DishOnline ... though that too could just be some packages flag glitch on the backend of these systems.

It's nothing like HULU or Netflix or any other REAL service.. I can click on HULU and watch immediately.. With Dish on Demand, I click on it then can watch it tomorrow.. Dish needs to get their servers a kick in the butt...

It's nothing like HULU or Netflix or any other REAL service.. I can click on HULU and watch immediately.. With Dish on Demand, I click on it then can watch it tomorrow.. Dish needs to get their servers a kick in the butt...
you are correct
I would not call it on demand It is amazingly slow ,at least two hours for 1/2 hour show
I use netflix and its great on same dsl service

Mark, like many others that have a blinding hatred of the words "Dish On Demand" and services dish has, you've missread what I wrote

There's also dishonline.com ...

dishonline.com **is** like hulu ... dishonline.com *is not* Dish On Demand ... its an additional service offering, and can agument a users' choices, that's the only reason I was offering it ...
ie.. "there's also this other service..."

and believe me.. I know exactly what you mean when you're trying to do DoD and could start watching if you wanted to see 1 minute for every 10. :)

I would also say .. that Dish's DoD is minor if you'd compare it to Cox ... at least according to a coworker who swears by his "on demand" stuff. And lastly... too much of Dish's stuff is really pay per view or rental DoD. And that the few short things I've selected to do .. a couple of 3 minute vids, a 30 minute episode of something free .. they all were fairly quick.. but I have seen the staggeringly horrible other stuff to which I'm sure DoD rings like the most obnoxious bell in your ears.. :)

You forgot to mention for some receivers it's still arrow down, and arrow down, and arrow down, ad infinitum before you get to select anything and start waiting.

I would bet that the reason there's an issue with On Demand.. is the codec used. I just did a test a bit ago, posted to another thread where I actually saw the data moved in 1 minute of video across a Sling Adapter is approximately 64 megabytes ... at that rate, you'd need 2.5 to 3 times as much data as even the highest streams from Youtube (1080p roughly 25 MBytes / min) and that's wasteful given a 100 dollar Bluray player can decode youtube/netflix/etc at less than 60 meg /min and give fairly good output.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)