vip 722k reboots every few minutes....

Derrek

Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
colorado
Is there a problem with the 722k and overheating? My unit is rebooting ever few minutes unless I place a 9" fan in front of the unit blowing on it.

I had the 942 (until dish told me I had to upgrade this obsolete unit (cause they lost the tivo patent dispute and was releasing mpeg2 only receivers when they decided to go fully with mpeg4....so they should never had sold it to me!.....but that is beside the point))....So I had the 942....installed in the same exact place with no problem EVER! Now I cannot keep the 722k running unless I have a 9" fan blowing on the front of the unit.

The cabinet it is in worked with the 942 with the front doors closed....but I can't even keep the 722k running with the doors open. Description of the cabinet is as follows:

The unit is ~20" high by 43" wide. Depth should not matter as the back is punched out where the equipment sits. DLP TV on the top (all open) with a open air shelf below that is about 6" high and wide enough to set two pieces of equipment side by side. On this shelf sits the audio reciever on the left side and open on the right. Below that is a glass door cabinet holding the (ordered from bottom to top...same as with the 942, btw) DVD, Sat receiver, and a Play Station 3...all on the left side with about a 2" gap. Right side is open. Left side back is punched out with the equipment sticking out the back by 2-5 inches. There is a 4" hole on the right side back (cable run opening).

Previously I would have to open the glass doors when playing the PS3 but could keep it closed for the 942 and DVD (DVD runs cold...). Now I have to have the door open AND run a 9" fan just to keep the sat receiver running.

I checked the HD temps and found the high at 130+ (136??) and average around 127 and min about 110+. The only time I hear the internal fan run (on the 722k) is when the thing reboots.

Now I'm fairly pissed. I had a perfectly good 942 that I paid really good money for and dish forced my to 'upgrade' to this dead fish.....

<vent>
I wasted 4 hours of a Saturday (for the dude to 'upgrade' me)....lost my recording schedules (about 30 of them...and I'm still reprogramming them)....lost my favorites on the program guide (had to reprogram that)....can't transfer my previously recorded data to the new unit....Have to teach the family how to use the new unit cause all of the above changed (and then some)....and have to hear a noisy fan running just to watch TV!!!! Not to mention that I am now paying 10$ more for HD that I never agreed to....which is going to get cancelled soon!
</vent>

So...Is there a problem with the 722kcooling design? Are other people seeing this as well? Is there a big difference between the 942 and the 722k that would be causing this?

I really don't want to have to invest more money in a redundant fan array / ultra slim cooling pads / liquid nitrogen cooling system / high tech NASA approved technology just to get this to work when it was perfectly fine before this 'upgrade'.

-Derrek

All of the VIP DVR receivers run way hotter than the old 921/942's did... No way around it... do a search, there's lots of tips & tricks but #1 on the list will be "never put them in a closed cabinet"

I have a 622 in an open cabinet w/ 1" high blocks under it to help w/ air circulation...

I really don't want to have to invest more money in a redundant fan array / ultra slim cooling pads / liquid nitrogen cooling system / high tech NASA approved technology just to get this to work when it was perfectly fine before this 'upgrade'.

You could always get a different cabinet. Might be easier than liquid nitrogen. :)

The fan on the 722 is loud. You should be able to hear it. If it is not working, that is why your temps are so high.

I've got my 722 in a closed cabinet (open in back) just to try to muffle that noise. Average temp is about 113.

My 722 is perfectly quiet.

Maybe you are keeping your temp down so that the side fan does not need to come on? I only wish I could do that.

I've checked with friends that have 722s and 612s and they are all noisy too. Not noisy enough to be noticeable over the TV noise but in a quiet room with the TV off, there is definitely a fan noise.

Had to take the doors off of my new entertainment center since it almost burnt our my old 722. I ended up with a new 722k and no problems since I took the doors off.

722k is new model but....

Just in case I would be calling E* to talk about it. Sounds like it has a problem other than heat. I've a VIP 622 which has been running well over a year. The hi temp onit was 138 w/low 107 & avg 118. It has NEVER shut down due to heat. The cabinet until recently was a closed front w/ open back. Will be exchanging it soon but it is due to the fact that the HDMI broke right after I got the new Panny plasma. BTW now that you have all the stuff programmed into the K save it to the remote and get it traded out. I had a 942 and since E* went to MPEG4 you haven't been getting hardly any HD. I really no longer understand why anyone buys their own sat. receiver.

Last edited:
I previously had a sat box since ~1997 (4000 model I think). When it went out it 2005 I looked into getting something that would do HD and duel DVR. Dish would not lease anything like that at the time, so I figured buy one....the cost ($750) over the life span (7 years of the previous model) beat out the reasoning of doing a lease and feeding the pig (cost difference).... Wish I would have know, at the time, that the model being sold was already obsolete. That is the reason I bought the model I got instead of doing a lease.

Back on topic....

I will try a few things to try to bring the temp down a bit (Shims on the bottom....open up one of the sides...get the PS3 off the top of the sat rcvr...etc). I appreciate the suggestions and advice. The big thing for me is knowing that this model does run hotter then the 942. I will just have to compensate for it.

I'm just still irritated at the fact that I feel cheated by dish...... :(

Thanks. I will post results later this weekend after I get things worked out a bit.

btw, I put a computer fan in the 4" hole on the right back of the ent. center blowing out....no difference. I might try it in a diffferent location to see if it has any affect. I may try to put it up to the right side of the sat rcvr blowing in (or left blowing out) to see if it does any better.

OK, I had a PS3 kit that included a PS3 fan bank for cooling. It has 4 mini fans (about 2" or 1.5") in a row that plugs into the USB port on front of the PS3. I put this on the left side of the unit blowing out and it seems to have stopped the rebooting. I used a USB extension (1') to plug it into the back of the sat box.

The temps do not seem to be moving though. the high is still 136 (Not sure if that will reset with out doing something to get it to reset) the average is 127 and low is 98....but the low was there before I put the fan bank on it, so cant give the fan bank any credit for that.

Is there any way to reset the temp counters without resetting everything (like favorites, etc)?

-Derrek

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts