ViP 722K started rebooting

oldave

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
Warner Robins, GA
Last night, my 722K froze the video, then in about 30-60 seconds later, it rebooted. OK, that's not great, but I thought maybe it was a one-time issue.

Now, this evening, it's rebooting every 15-30 minutes. Same symptom, video freezes, then 30-60 second later, audio goes and then the receiver reboots.

I pulled the power, let it sit 5 minutes and plugged it back in. It booted, ran 16 minutes and did it again.

Thoughts? Or are we a proud new OTA-only household?

I don't much mind, we've found ourselves watching less and less US television anyway, so it's not a huge thing (but pretty big savings).

Hi, I am sorry that you are having a problem with your receiver rebooting. If the receiver is plugged into a surge protector, can you plug it directly into a wall outlet? Dis it change anything? Please PM me your account or phone number and I will see about getting a replacement unit sent to you ASAP. Thank you!

I can't complain - we've had this thing for years and years and it's just kept on working, even after lightning strikes came in on the cable modem and took out various things, including switch ports the 722K is connected to.

The Sling adapter quit working a while back, but I rarely use it, so I hadn't done anything about that.

The 722K is visible on the network, and I never have issues adding timers, etc, from the DISH app on my phone...

As I said, it's hard to complain about the receiver if it's gone Tango Uniform. I have a lot of programs on the hard drive, but I'm not attached to 'em.

Last night, my 722K froze the video, then in about 30-60 seconds later, it rebooted. OK, that's not great, but I thought maybe it was a one-time issue.

Now, this evening, it's rebooting every 15-30 minutes. Same symptom, video freezes, then 30-60 second later, audio goes and then the receiver reboots.
uu
I pulled the power, let it sit 5 minutes and plugged it back in. It booted, ran 16 minutes and did it again.
Wierd... ours started the (almost) exact same behavior last night as well. It didn't work for 16 minutes though. More like 6, if we're lucky (and that included boot-up time).

Wierd... ours started the (almost) exact same behavior last night as well. It didn't work for 16 minutes though. More like 6, if we're lucky (and that included boot-up time).

Was there a software update that's buggy?

I used to, but I don't keep up with software versions anymore.

If you can get 20-30 minutes of working time, I'd connect an ehd and try to transfer the recordings to it in batches.

If I cared enough to pay the activation fee, I would.

But we've watched everything that's on the system - I only keep 'em around for backup in case there's absolutely nothing on.

The 722K got worse - rebooting every 5-6 minutes... and the 622 I have seems to not have a valid smart card.

So, no television for us this week - hopefully the replacement 722K doesn't get delayed or it'll be after Christmas before it gets here. Bad time for this thing to go out, as The X Factor US finale is this week. It looks like time to head out and see about buying a TV antenna and getting it up on the tower before Wednesday.

If I cared enough to pay the activation fee, I would.

There is no activation fee for the EHD with a 612/622/722/722k/922/Hopper. Dish dropped that about a year or so ago.

There is a fee for the EHD with a 211/211k, but not for the Dish DVR receivers.

Disregard. This was a duplicate post and the system will not let me delete.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to one my 722Ks just this morning. I am strongly suspecting a bug in the latest software download that corrupted drives...

Showing L756 on this one.

When it started going nuts and rebooting every few minutes, I unplugged it, let it sit for about 20 minutes, then plugged it back in.

It got the Warning 981 error and downloaded software. Then it went through the "Starting up..." screen numerous times, with the TV1 LED on sometimes, sometimes not, then the Mode LED on sometimes, sometimes not... eventually, it came up... somewhere around 30 minutes of it restarting like that.

8 minutes now it hasn't rebooted. I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see.

There is no activation fee for the EHD with a 612/622/722/722k/922/Hopper. Dish dropped that about a year or so ago.

There is a fee for the EHD with a 211/211k, but not for the Dish DVR receivers.

I missed that somewhere along the line... could be from not keeping up with it as much as I used to.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll grab a drive, and if it manages to work for a while, I'll try to move a few things out to that.

oldave said:
Showing L756 on this one.

When it started going nuts and rebooting every few minutes, I unplugged it, let it sit for about 20 minutes, then plugged it back in.

It got the Warning 981 error and downloaded software. Then it went through the "Starting up..." screen numerous times, with the TV1 LED on sometimes, sometimes not, then the Mode aLED on sometimes, sometimes not... eventually, it came up... somewhere around 30 minutes of it restarting like that.

8 minutes now it hasn't rebooted. I'm not holding my breath, but we'll see.

Sorry oldave, but it's dead. This has been happening with 722ks for the last month. Mine did it on November 13th (ironically my birthday) what you saw was this:

ForumRunner_20121215_150645.png

If you notice my picture (which was taken at 5:00 in the morning on November 14th, a few hours after the event of freezing and resetting started) the green LED is lit up underneath. It's the solo green dot on the left. The dots on the right are my wireless router.

It will go on forever. I chose to go with the Hopper. I like my Hopper very much and don't miss the 722k at all.

I have been tracking these events since my receiver died. I was told by non-dirt members that I was "pulling the fire alarm". I know I'm right and there is a software problem. And I think I know what it might be, but I am going to leave it up to the experts to figure it out.

Last edited:
It should not make a difference but I had same problem. What fixed it for me was setting the time receiver goes to sleep from two hours to eight hours. The fact that, that corrected the problem tells me it is the software. If I put it back to 2 hours it starts shortly doing the reboot again. FYI .....Can't hurt to try it.

Sorry oldave, but it's dead. This has been happening with 722ks for the last month. Mine did it on November 13th (ironically my birthday) what you saw was this:

View attachment 83387

Right, that's what I saw, but it got beyond that, on to the Dish logo and "Starting up..." screen. Then, it restarted from there numerous times, and finally came back up and I was able to watch TV... for 27 minutes.

Now it's stuck in a reboot loop, and eventually gets to this:

It did that about 2 this afternoon, and we went to town, had dinner, came back - 4 hours later, it was still stuck there.

(edit to add): Pressing reset puts it back in the reboot loop, until it finally starts flashing all the LEDs again.

I'd say it's well and truly dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 722k did this about a year ago. Have any of you checked the HD temps? Mine (after years of working great) decided to stay up in the 140-150 degree range (fan stopped working) and fried. The replacement did it after not too long too. Got a dual-fan cooling system for the 2nd replacement and it never had any issues.

I have seen the overheating issues more and more lately after the most recent software or firmware update. Apparently there is some bad code in the that is either causing the fans to shut off, or is forcing the system to work harder than it is supposed to. I had a day filled with service calls on 722k where each had gone to 015 complete signal loss briefly then reaquired signal. When I checked the temperatures, all averages were above 135.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts