ViP 722K stops responding if TV is on

bloretamilan

Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
California
Hi,
I have a weird situation and I can't understand what is happening.

I have a 722K DVR and I have a problem with my primary HDTV. Its operation with the second TV is perfectly fine.

The receiver works and responds to remote control when TV1 is off. When I turn the TV on, it stops responding to the remote but it continues to work without giving me control to change anything.

The moment I turn off the TV, it responds to the remote and I can change channels, turn it off and do whatever I want.

Once I narrowed this down, I disconnected the HDMI cable to the TV from the box thinking there is something between the TV and the box that is bothering it.

But, to my surprise even when the box is not connected to the TV, it behaves the same way. The TV is not connected to anything but power and I still see the same response in the box.

Does anyone know what could be going on?

A search would have found for you that a lot LCD TV's interfere with the Dish IR remote.

If your TV has any type of an automatic setting that adjusts the set by the amount of light in the room - TURN OFF that setting.

Some TV's just need to be on awhile and will quit interfering until the next time you turn back on.

I have seen it many times you need to adress the number 1 remote to a difrent addres.

On the box press menue twice. At the bottem you will see a green #1 and a Blue #2 .

At this screen press and hold the sat button on dish #1 controler. Once the other mode buttons flash (tv,dvd,ect...) let go of the sat buttion and press any numbe other then 1 I use 8..then pound symble and last recorde.

A search would have found for you that a lot LCD TV's interfere with the Dish IR remote.

If your TV has any type of an automatic setting that adjusts the set by the amount of light in the room - TURN OFF that setting.

Some TV's just need to be on awhile and will quit interfering until the next time you turn back on.

That's the answer. "Backlighting" is what it's called on some sets.

Thanks a lot for the tips.

There was a "power" option in my XBR4 and it was set to low.

I changed it to off and the remote seemed to work. Once the remote started working, I turned the power setting back to low and it did not seem to bother the remote.

I'll have to turn it off permanently if it affects the remote again.

Thanks a lot for the tips.

There was a "power" option in my XBR4 and it was set to low.

I changed it to off and the remote seemed to work. Once the remote started working, I turned the power setting back to low and it did not seem to bother the remote.

I'll have to turn it off permanently if it affects the remote again.
Keep looking for the backlight or auto level control in the Picture menus. Power would not, in my mine, make a difference UNLESS it turns off those features for conservation.

bloretamilan said:
Hi,
I have a weird situation and I can't understand what is happening.

I have a 722K DVR and I have a problem with my primary HDTV. Its operation with the second TV is perfectly fine.

The receiver works and responds to remote control when TV1 is off. When I turn the TV on, it stops responding to the remote but it continues to work without giving me control to change anything.

The moment I turn off the TV, it responds to the remote and I can change channels, turn it off and do whatever I want.

Once I narrowed this down, I disconnected the HDMI cable to the TV from the box thinking there is something between the TV and the box that is bothering it.

But, to my surprise even when the box is not connected to the TV, it behaves the same way. The TV is not connected to anything but power and I still see the same response in the box.

Does anyone know what could be going on?

Your tv has IR blast on it. Cancels out ir from remotes other than the one from the tv. Check your settings on the tv, check the tvs user guide, call the tv manufacturers help line.

Good luck.

I had the same problem. I called Dish and they sent me a UHF remote for my 722K. Did not have to make any changes to my Sony LCD HD tv.

I have had this problem with a 622 and after a warm up of the TV it would go away.
I just upgraded to a 722 and it will not work most of the time regardless of waiting. I searched the internet and found an answer in the AV forum. If you place a piece of white paper in front of the remote receive eye, the small window at the bottom center of the 722 your ir remote will work.

To try it just take a piece of computer paper and cover the entire front of the receiver then use the remote. It should work. Then you can fool around with a more modest size piece. Good Luck.

I never tried the paper trick, but in my case, no amount of fooling with the TV (or remote address) would solve the problem. Dish eventually sent me a UHF remote.

I have an intermittent problem that might be related. When my 722k receiver is in standby mode (with instructions to Press Select displayed on the screen) it does not respond to my remote. I have to press the power button on the front panel. After that, the remote works normally, even if I put it back into standby mode again. I've had this happen two or three times now.

It's strange that, in my case, it only happens in standby mode, never when watching a program. I don't think my Samsung LCD TV has an automatic back light feature I can turn off but I'll have to check and see. I might try the paper trick too, next time it happens.

I have an intermittent problem that might be related. When my 722k receiver is in standby mode (with instructions to Press Select displayed on the screen) it does not respond to my remote. I have to press the power button on the front panel. After that, the remote works normally, even if I put it back into standby mode again. I've had this happen two or three times now.

It's strange that, in my case, it only happens in standby mode, never when watching a program. I don't think my Samsung LCD TV has an automatic back light feature I can turn off but I'll have to check and see. I might try the paper trick too, next time it happens.

It's a bug in the latest software that has been discussed. What you described has happened to me once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)