VIP 722k to Hopper Duo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ssatellite

Original poster
Dec 3, 2022
Indiana
Hi, I have a fully functional VIP 722k and was considering options to have a 2nd HD set. I could either use an HDMI splitter or move to a Hopper Duo with (wired) Joey. I understand this kind of thing has been discussed before, but my needs may be somewhat different, and I would appreciate any input.

I don't really care about new features (although I understand their value to others) including voice remote, remote finder, ability to watch on tablet, PIP, and built in apps. I don't need 4K or ability to watch different programs on different HD sets (but do need 2 tuners for recording).

I do care about picture quality, reliability, OTA (preserving dual tuner), EHD (preserving current content), optical or coaxial audio output. and cost. Currently paying $7 monthly DVR fee. With Hopper Duo and Joey (wired) this would increase to $15 (?). Would also need to purchase OTA module.

Thanks

Hi, I have a fully functional VIP 722k and was considering options to have a 2nd HD set. I could either use an HDMI splitter or move to a Hopper Duo with (wired) Joey.
If you don't care about watching different HD programs on the different HDTV's, then an HDMI splitter would be the cheapest way to go. Another possibility besides the Duo to get a current receiver would be 2 Wally's. But those would not only require 2 OTA dongles, but also 2 EHDs and the $40 one time/account DVR Activation fee. But after that, you don't have to pay a DVR fee like you do on the Hoppers and all their variants.

Reactions: charlesrshell
If you don't care about watching different HD programs on the different HDTV's, then an HDMI splitter would be the cheapest way to go. Another possibility besides the Duo to get a current receiver would be 2 Wally's. But those would not only require 2 OTA dongles, but also 2 EHDs and the $40 one time/account DVR Activation fee. But after that, you don't have to pay a DVR fee like you do on the Hoppers and all their variants.

But his existing extended hard drive on his VIP receiver would not work on the Wally receiver unless it was formatted. So he would lose his current saved content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk