VIP 722k TV2 graphics corruption

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KCHockey

Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Kansas City, MO
I had recieved a replacement 722k to replace a failed one, which worked fine until we were trying to watch a DVR event on TV2, and found a really corrupt image. Tinkering around a bit, I found out it only affects items that are in HD. Everything looks fine on TV1 via HDMI connection, and as far as I know, everything is hooked back up properly.

Ended up calling Dish support, got up to advanced tech support only to be told that the 722k doesn't support HD on TV2, even though I explained I know it doesn't do it in HD, but that it should still show it (probably should have emphasized the down-converting better...). In the end I could tell I wasn't getting anywhere with this and figured I'd try calling again later.

The audio and SD channels/recordings work fine on TV2, which is why we didn't notice the problem right away. I've tried restarting the receiver and even resetting back to factory defaults, but is there a common setting I might be forgetting to check? I'm under the assumption this is an hardware issue, and the only cables that were touched were the ones on the back of the receiver when it was replaced. Everything worked fine before the first receiver died (pretty sure that was the HDD). Any other suggestions for things to try first before calling Dish back?

Attachments

• corruptimage1.jpg
    corruptimage1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 268
  • corruptimage2.jpg
    corruptimage2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 344
I hate to do my standard boilerplate response, but it seems that it might apply, since this is a replacement. KEEP IT WELL VENTILATED. They run HOT to begin with. Do not stack on or under with other components. If in a cabinet, have front to back airflow. Or left to right. Better yet, have in completely out in the open. 4 out of 5 repetitive replacement scenarios are because of "AIR CHOKE" OR electrical grounding problems.

Oh, and welcome.

Moving the receiver into a more open location didn't have any impact on the TV2 issue (although it does seem to lower the hdd temp slightly - looking at 71 low, 120 avg (was 122), and 130 high). I even left it unplugged for an hour to see if that would help cool it back down, plugged it back in and checked on TV2. I'll check in the morning just in case though.

Electrical is another good thought - the AC outlet shows grounded on the surge suppressor, but I might take a peek outside to double-check everything out there - we've had some temperature swings and some winds lately.

The first receiver lasted us just shy of 2 years - I'm not sure what the average life on the 722k's are but that seemed pretty good for me. I also have no problem with boilerplate responses - especially if it fixes the glitch! :)

my 722k doesn't have this problem. You could try doing the "factory reset" on it (menu -> 6 -> 6) if after that, and *minor* setup tweaking doesn't fix the issue, then I'm betting more on a bad unit.

To do the best you can, would be to print out those pictures, type up what you did to get such a display (recorded an HD event, it played back perfectly through the HD outputs, but did not play properly on the SD outputs) and send that unit back, with the pictures and note taped to the receiver. At that point if they F the repair up its not your fault they couldn't understand ... etc..

but that's what I'd do. YMMV

Yeah, TV2 is connected by coax - which worked fine until the new receiver came in. Already tried doing factory reset while on tech support last time, which didn't do anything but get me in better shape running up and down the stairs. I checked the connections on the outside a couple of days ago (hard to do that when I'm usually only home when it's dark). I'll try calling Dish back again and see what we can get done...really getting inconvenient now since the locals are only broadcast in "HD."

There's only one other oddball thing I could think of ... Were you using diplexers to get from the 722 to your SD tv?

Though if one went bad I'm not sure why it would effect HD and not SD since both should be coming *out* from the coax on the 722 as SD... but I know we had odd problems and then lost all signal to the second tv, and then lost the dish signal in about a week of the first problems back when I had 625's.

This was back when I had 625's (SD only) its just a wild hair idea ... again 'cause it should cause the problem on all channels to the SD.. and that's if you have diplexers.. :)

Also did we cover the "direct connection" or "home distribution" setting in the 722? though that too shouldn't effect just HD ...

The pixelation issue seems to be coming directly FROM the box, because the graphics appear clear, but the video in the background is severely pixelated.

Unplugging the receiver for about 10 seconds typically fixed DVR corruption issues, but obviously this is not the case. I want to look into this some more and see what options we have. Please DM me your account number or phone number on your acct with the S/W version that you currently have on your ViP722k. Thanks in advance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts