VIP EHD to Hopper

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
Thinking of upgrading to the Hopper. However, from what I've read the EHD attached to my 622 won't be compatible with the hopper, meaning I would lose everything that's on the EHD.
Has anyone figured a way to preserve all ones recordings when upgrading to the hopper or is this not possible? Then it would mean a an upgrade to the hopper means starting from scratch.

Thinking of upgrading to the Hopper. However, from what I've read the EHD attached to my 622 won't be compatible with the hopper, meaning I would lose everything that's on the EHD.
Has anyone figured a way to preserve all ones recordings when upgrading to the hopper or is this not possible? Then it would mean a an upgrade to the hopper means starting from scratch.

You were reading the wrong things. Just move the EHD to the Hopper and it should work fine. Worst case scenario is that you'll have to wait a day or two after you get the new Hopper for it to recognize the EHD.

You were reading the wrong things. Just move the EHD to the Hopper and it should work fine. Worst case scenario is that you'll have to wait a day or two after you get the new Hopper for it to recognize the EHD.
Thanks for the clarification. This was told to me by a Dish CSR when I was in the process of ordering the hopper, I promptly cancelled the order until I could get a 2nd opinion.
I plan to offload all my recordings from a 612 onto an EHD as well as the 622. The recordings should all be available on the hopper, I hope that's right.

Yes it is correct.
I believe everyone here that replied so just for the sake of argument I called Dish tech support. They all insist that I cannot retain my recordings from my 622 and say that when I attach that EHD to the hopper, the EHD will be reformatted and all recordings will be lost.
I can't believe most people are willing to lose all recordings they've accumulated over the years just by upgrading to the hopper.

I don't know who you talked to but they are wrong. I upgraded to the Hopper from a 622 over 2 years ago and all my recordings remained intact and still are. The folks here are giving you the correct answer not Dish. If you don't believe us contact DIRT on this site.

I don't know who you talked to but they are wrong. I upgraded to the Hopper from a 622 over 2 years ago and all my recordings remained intact and still are. The folks here are giving you the correct answer not Dish. If you don't believe us contact DIRT on this site.
As I said earlier, I believe you folks over those at Dish However, I find it somewhat astounding that the people staffing Dish customer service and tech support are so uninformed about how their equipment actually works.

Grrr. CSRs can be morons sometimes. If ever in doubt, go to DIrT.

The only thing that might stop you is if your EHD is unsupported. Even then, there is just no guarantee one way or the other. Folks here got receiver powered EHDs and they work. If that would be the case, just throw on a powered usb hub, and according to most of them, you'll be fine. But I beleive most here have transfered from a VIP dvr to a hopper. No problems.

I don't know who you talked to but they are wrong. I upgraded to the Hopper from a 622 over 2 years ago and all my recordings remained intact and still are. The folks here are giving you the correct answer not Dish.
The only Vip receiver which the EHD would not work on a Hopper would be the 211. Maybe the person doesn't know the different Vip receivers.

Reactions: ChadT41
The Hopper will support at least up to a 3 TB hard drive. I know that from experience. Also it will support 2 ehd's at a time. All my ehd's I used on my 722 worked perfectly.

I still have the test program that HDNet ran many moons ago on my EHD. It was recorded on a 622. The drive was then used on a 722 and is now connected to my HWS. The test program is still there and it still runs. I use it occasionally to check the set up on my TV. EHDs are definitely interchangeable.

Concur.
The oldest recording I found quickly from my spreadsheet was from 2009, probably from a 622.
I have 14 drives from .75 to 2 TB and all work for my 3000+ movies & docs plus a thousand+ new episodes.
I have only had one .75 WD drive go bad and a 1TB Buffalo go weak, it revived with unloading and reformatting.
They are all nearly full, total avail. 17000 GB, a full shelf. Got to get some 3 or 4 TB drives if dwarren is right.
(Save big drives for big recordings because over ~1500 on a drive may have directory problems.)
(Reminder: drive makers use 1000^3 for GB, we use 1024^3 for GB thus their 1GB drive is 931MB.)
I changed organization from by IMDb ranking (keeps changing) to alphabetic, FWIW, so leave some space.

EHD tip: if a drive won't copy to/from the DVR, then send a (small) file the other way and try again.
You can use 2 drives simultaneously on the Hopper and 2 more for copying only. Drive # >2 can't be viewed.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts