VIP receiver OTA (Off Air) loss remedy

frankb123

Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
For those of you that have a problem with a big yellow banner showing signal loss intermittantly for about two seconds (annoying).

The solution is to put a DC block coupling in the antenna cable at the receiver input.

This works
smile.gif

This problem appeared within the last two months on my VIP-211 receiver - my Samsung HDMI receiver does NOT have this problem.
\
Hope this helps.

I used one laying around the RF lab, but try these less than $3.00 units
satellitedish.com/cata0207.htm

Either DCVBS or DCB19

Hmmm. I'll have to try this for my PBS digital. I noticed the problem was limited to my ViP211, and the 811 didn't have the problem.

But what would a DC block do to help fix this problems? Is your antenna using an amp.? Maybe something is wrong with the amp. and all you need to do is remove the amp. Just trying to make sense of this fix.

But what would a DC block do to help fix this problems? Is your antenna using an amp.? Maybe something is wrong with the amp. and all you need to do is remove the amp. Just trying to make sense of this fix.
That's another variable for me. The 211 has an amplified antenna, the 811 doesn't.

Yes I am using a radio shack 25 dBm variable amplifier ndear the antenna. The amplifier is set to near max. This problem only reared it's ugly heat within the last two months. The problem does not manefest itself while using other receivers.
Also, I have seen this complaint from other VIP-211 users.

I am not sure why it works. Someone suggested that it may reduce multipath, but why does it only effect one receiver?

I went ahead and tried this fix and it didn't work for me. My 211 lost a couple of channels with the latest software update and I can't get them back. I've used the DC block, attenuators, different antennas, nothing brings them back. I connected the antenna to the Samsung tuner and they are there with no problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)