Vip211 Dolby Digital Optical Out

craig100

Original poster
Dec 17, 2005
Got my 211 this week.

Everything is working great except for some audo issues. I have the receiver hooked up through a Denon amp (optical out). When I'm watching HD channels there is no audio. SD channels work fine. To get audio on all the channels I have to change the setting to PCM only. Anyone else having the same problem.

First time post by the way.

The 811 and 921 have an option for PCM only or DD only and/or PCM/ DD. I would look for that option in setup and select both. Hope this helps.....

Menu 4.4 for 921 and Menu 6.8 for 811.

Just got off the phone with advance tech support. Looks like the Dobly Digital on my 211 isn't compatible with my Denon amp. I have to leave it on PCM only to get sound on the HD channels. The tech's advice wait for a software release.

I saw on some other posts that there were some problems with 811 when it first came out. Seems like we would have fixed it or this new unit.

craig100 said:
Just got off the phone with advance tech support. Looks like the Dobly Digital on my 211 isn't compatible with my Denon amp. I have to leave it on PCM only to get sound on the HD channels. The tech's advice wait for a software release.

I saw on some other posts that there were some problems with 811 when it first came out. Seems like we would have fixed it or this new unit.
I was one of the people that couldn't get Dolby Digital to work on my 811 and Sherwood Newcastle preamp/processor. When I called tech support I was told many different stories, but each ended with something like "the next software upgrade should solve the problem." Other "helpful" tech support advise included: just hook up the red and white cables, buy a new receiver, try using a coaxial cable.

After over a year of waiting, numerous software upgrades, and a pointless swap-out, they finally took back the 811 and gave me programming credits for what I paid for it. I don't know if any future upgrades corrected the problem, but I wasn't going to wait forever.

If the new 211's are doing the same thing, it's a bad sign. Don't hold your breath waiting for a software fix for it. This is disappointing news. I've owned a bunch of other DD-capable products, and never had any kind of problem - only with the 811. This doesn't speak well of Dish's engineering departments.

Scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)