ViP211 HDMI broken, Dish refuses to replace

werry

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Hello,

My HDMI recently quit working on the ViP211 I purchased. I called Dish and they said that I should try component cables. The tech had me install them while I was talking to her and the picture came back over the component connection...

She said, "Ok its fixed, thanks for calling Dish Network is there anything else I can do for you today?"

Uhh, yeah, fix my HDMI?? Can you send me a new receiver?

"This is a issue we are aware of with all 211 and 622 model receivers. We are currently working on a software update that will resolve this problem by the end of the year. Please be patient with us."

So that was the end of our conversation. This smells like B.S. to me. In fact I very highly doubt that the problem has anything at all to do with software. The HDMI connection worked fine for about six months. Where was the software problem then??? My guess is that this is a hardware failure issue. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
This also happen to me, but on the 622. I figure this out for myself and call tech support everthing work fine with the component cables.

I agree with you, I do not believe this is a software issue because mine also work fine for few months before it went out. The sent me a replacement with no problems.

I would call again, and make sure that you talk to tech support not just a customer service person. I have notice, by reading in this forum, that a lot of times getting a different tech person solves the issue of replacement.

HTH

"I have notice, by reading in this forum, that a lot of times getting a different tech person solves the issue of replacement."

It's called CSR roulette. If you do a search on HDMI on this forum you'll find lots of people not happy about this problem. Like you suspected, it's not a software problem but a hardware problem.

It is NOT a software issue at all!

I read somewhere here I think, that it is the hdmi connector inside gets broken solder joints, and some daring people openned it up and resoldered them and it works fine.

Phil

Yeah I have both the 211 and 411 with the latest software and have "NO" issues. Sometimes is it on the receiver end but also your "TV" as well. Main issue is just with the HDMI standard itself it's new and still kind of buggy and every manufacture of TV sets will do things diffrently. This is just another reason why some TV's have no issues some do so it' a combination of both.. So if they do send you another one and you have the same problem then that most likely will rule out the receiver but not always.

1st What brand and model of TV do you have??
2nd What Software Version is your receiver on??
3rd Look and see what version of 211 you have??
4th When this started did you do try a hard reboot of the receiver??
5th Check see if their is a firmware update for your TV some makers have them some dont just depends on your TV..

These are some things to look at for everyone who has issues like this and others. If you have done all of this then E-mail Dish if you dont hear anything back from them in a day or so then let us know.

It is NOT a software issue at all!

I read somewhere here I think, that it is the hdmi connector inside gets broken solder joints, and some daring people openned it up and resoldered them and it works fine.

Phil

Yes this might work for some but again this is not always going to be the case. Maybe with just some versions on the receiver might have this issue but not all will. Not everyone will want to resoldered the receiver and they should not half to. If thats the case just get a another receiver if you choose to resoldered then you take the risk a voiding your warrenty.. If you feel like you can do this then thats your choice but overall I would start with getting another receiver 1st. Again resoldering thing is not going to always be the case sometimes software will address the issue..

Yeah I have both the 211 and 411 with the latest software and have "NO" issues. Sometimes is it on the receiver end but also your "TV" as well. Main issue is just with the HDMI standard itself it's new and still kind of buggy and every manufacture of TV sets will do things diffrently. This is just another reason why some TV's have no issues some do so it' a combination of both.. So if they do send you another one and you have the same problem then that most likely will rule out the receiver but not always.

1st What brand and model of TV do you have??
2nd What Software Version is your receiver on??
3rd Look and see what version of 211 you have??
4th When this started did you do try a hard reboot of the receiver??
5th Check see if their is a firmware update for your TV some makers have them some dont just depends on your TV..

These are some things to look at for everyone who has issues like this and others. If you have done all of this then E-mail Dish if you dont hear anything back from them in a day or so then let us know.

1) Sony SXRD XBR 60" HDTV
2) I have the latest version, i leave on autoupdate and turn it off every night like Dish told me too.
3) It is a ViP211, I don't know where to find the version (??)
4) Yes, I would turn it off and back on and this worked for a couple weeks but now it is completely dead. Again, for emphasis, the HDMI worked absolutley perfectly for about five months before the problems began.
5) There is nothing wrong with my TV. I have had multiple other appliances hooked up through the same HDMI port for purposes of testing in the past few days and there are absolutley zero compatibility issues with any other appliance, including: two different computers, HD-DVD player, regular DVD player, etc. etc.

What should I do just call them back and threaten to cancel my account? I am not really sure I want to go that far. What do you think?

werry - What you are experiencing is not new. In all probability one or more of the 19 HDMI connections on the PCB have failed, possibly due to mechanical or thermal stress. As RandallA mentioned, try "CSR Roulette" but do it with the techs until you get one who is more sympathetic to your situation and offers the exchange. Even E* admitted to the problem with the HDMI connector. What the first Tech told you is scripted and I think they try that with all who call in to complain about the "no HDMI output" problem. Altho' there are probably multiple root causes to this problem possibly including a SW issue, yours sounds rather definitely like the classic broken connection.

Here is some "light" reading for you. There are other threads on the topic as well...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=68950&page=21&highlight=622+HDMI

Welcome to SatGuys, BTW...!

I got a new 211 with working HDMI port last week. Just email ceo and tell them you've talked to tech support and there wasn't a setting that would get it working and you need a new one. I emailed someone who had helped me before and basically let him know that I'm not a technotard, the tv port works, but not with the box. The replacement showed up 2 days later & I sent the old one back with the included return label in the same box.

werry

Yes E-mail let them know what the issue is and see if they would do a swap out for another receiver..

Here is the E-mail Address you need to send your E-mail too. Let me know if you get a reply... If they do send you another only thing you should half to do is reactivevate it..

ceo@echostar.com

Thanks everyone. I will send an email, and try to jiggle the connection. I'll edit this post and report back if I get any results/replies.

I can understand your frustration, but how does component look? On my Panasonic plamsa, component was actually clearer than HDMI. I think since HDMI is "new" and "digital", people automatically think it must be better. I also recently got an Oppo DVD w/ HDMI. Component looked better than HDMI on it too! I e-mailed Oppo and they said that they find most people prefer component because it looks more "filmlike" whereas HDMI looks "digital", which I guess would be defined as "digitized". Looking at the gray background of the sharpness pattern on Avia, component connection renders a smooth gray, whereas HDMI rendered a grainy gray that sort of moved around (that the best I can decribe it).

I have a 211 also and my hdmi worked for two days then went blank. Component cables worked but I insisted on hdmi. Dish told me it was software issues also. I refused to believe it so I wrote the CEO of Dish. A man called me from their dispute resolution team. He had a new 211 to me in 3 days and it has worked ever since. So I tend to believe its not a software issue but a hardware issue instead.

I had the same problem, called, the first tech stated that it was a software issue, so I waited till the next day, called back, and the tech that time sent me a new receiver. Been working fine since...

Yeah I would say most of the time it will be the hardware.. Glad everything is working! :)

visual preferences

I can understand your frustration, but how does component look? On my Panasonic plamsa, component was actually clearer than HDMI. I think since HDMI is "new" and "digital", people automatically think it must be better. I also recently got an Oppo DVD w/ HDMI. Component looked better than HDMI on it too! I e-mailed Oppo and they said that they find most people prefer component because it looks more "filmlike" whereas HDMI looks "digital", which I guess would be defined as "digitized". Looking at the gray background of the sharpness pattern on Avia, component connection renders a smooth gray, whereas HDMI rendered a grainy gray that sort of moved around (that the best I can decribe it).

The reason that component is a preference over the HDMI may have more to do with being able to adjust the color and saturation more than anything else. In digital on many sets it is not possible to change these as easily as using the analog inputs. Also some the circuits on some of these sets just are not a good as their analog circuits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)