vip211k and 1000.4 EA

rkvarner43

Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
north alabama
Trying to set up a vip211k with the 1000.4 eastern arc and the dish point screen doesn't have an option for the 1000.4 antenna with the 61.5, 72.7, and 77 satellites. It only has the Dish 500, and 2 others, none of which have the combination of satellites that the 1000.4 EA supports.

Any suggestions?

Just leave it on the 300 dish and change the satellite to the one your trying to check the signal of. I'm not a installer but I'm pretty sure none of the VIP receiver's have a 1000 series dish setting.

Trying to set up a vip211k with the 1000.4 eastern arc and the dish point screen doesn't have an option for the 1000.4 antenna with the 61.5, 72.7, and 77 satellites. It only has the Dish 500, and 2 others, none of which have the combination of satellites that the 1000.4 EA supports.

Any suggestions?

Put it on Dish 500. There is no setting for a 1000-series dish on the Point dish screen. Use the Point dish screen (or signal meter) to get good signal on 61.5, 72.7, and 77. Then, go to Check Switch, and run "Test" on that Install Summary page. If all is connected properly, after the check switch is run, the install summary will show 77/72/61.5 with OK under each one, and Device will show DPP1k.4 several times.

Just set your skew correctly, then get your best signal on 72 at transponder 9. I move around in my RV all the time and it takes five minutes to point and get good signals.

Well, had it working, then tried it using my KVH S2 dish and got it to find 119 and it was able to switch back and forth between 110 and 119, and even got HD even though the KVH rep said it wouldn't. I went back to try it with the 1000.4 EA and couldn't get any signals. The dish was on a tripod and was blow over. Are the LNBs sensitive to shock. I ran the check switch and the 211K recognizes the 100.4 antenna, but I can't tune in any any satellites.

Any ideas???

thanks

Thanks, I did a quick visual check and the dish and arm all looked ok. I'll play around with it some more tonight.

Is there anything to reset on the VIP211K when going from the KVH S2 and the 1000.4 since they're looking at different satellites?

I would clear out the matrix before you try to run a check switch for eastern arc dish. So unplug the satellite coax and run a check switch . It should count from 1 - 32. Then you need to save it and re attach the coax for the eastern arc dish. Run a check switch again and it should recognize the satellites and you should be able to select the sats you want to look at for signal strengths etc. IF you have the receiver authorized by DISH first that is.

I would clear out the matrix before you try to run a check switch for eastern arc dish. So unplug the satellite coax and run a check switch . It should count from 1 - 32. Then you need to save it and re attach the coax for the eastern arc dish. Run a check switch again and it should recognize the satellites and you should be able to select the sats you want to look at for signal strengths etc. IF you have the receiver authorized by DISH first that is.

Pressing *#* while on the start up or intial install screen should jump it to check switch

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

That doesn't work on the 211 and this isn't an "installation wizard" issue. OP is switching between locations in an already active receiver.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a meter, even if it's one of those cheap $20 ones from Ebay. The 211's Point Dish screen is horrid. Even when it's working correctly it's extremely slow to respond to changes when you move the dish. And other times it doesn't respond at all. A meter will give you instant feedback and save you a lot of frustration.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a meter, even if it's one of those cheap $20 ones from Ebay. The 211's Point Dish screen is horrid. Even when it's working correctly it's extremely slow to respond to changes when you move the dish. And other times it doesn't respond at all. A meter will give you instant feedback and save you a lot of frustration.
I think you'll need more than that.

I've gone through several meters and to me the best one for acquiring the three DISH Eastern Arc (or Western Arc) sats is the Acutrac III Plus -- http://worldwidesatellites.com/acut...ku-satellite-signal-tracking-meter-p-498.html

It shows the signal strength of all 3 sats simultaneously which makes acquisition fairly easy.

Also, if you have a smart phone, get the DishPointer (DP Air Pro) app to locate the general position of the sats. DP Air Pro shows the actual location of the sats on the sky and seems to give better azimuth, elevation, and skew settings than DISH.

It also sounds like you need a better dish tripod as the 3 LNB dishes are heavy. Get one from these guys -- http://www.tv4rv.com -- and hang a 5-gallon bucket of water or rocks underneath the dish. Those screw-in-the-ground things don't work.

I think you'll need more than that.

I've gone through several meters and to me the best one for acquiring the three DISH Eastern Arc (or Western Arc) sats is the Acutrac III Plus -- http://worldwidesatellites.com/acut...ku-satellite-signal-tracking-meter-p-498.html

It shows the signal strength of all 3 sats simultaneously which makes acquisition fairly easy.

Also, if you have a smart phone, get the DishPointer (DP Air Pro) app to locate the general position of the sats. DP Air Pro shows the actual location of the sats on the sky and seems to give better azimuth, elevation, and skew settings than DISH.

It also sounds like you need a better dish tripod as the 3 LNB dishes are heavy. Get one from these guys -- http://www.tv4rv.com -- and hang a 5-gallon bucket of water or rocks underneath the dish. Those screw-in-the-ground things don't work.

If you've got $200 eating a hole in your pocket I agree. That would be much better. However the $20 version works fine for me when pointing my D500 @ 61.5/72 (I have no use for 77). Just cover up the 61.5 lnb with tinfoil and adjust the dish to receive 72. The cheapo meter will only tell you if you have a signal, you might have to re-aim a couple of times if you end up on the wrong satellite.

If you're full-timing the expensive meter is more than worth it. But for the guy that RV's a few weeks out of the year I'm not sure it's necessary.

If you've got $200 eating a hole in your pocket I agree. That would be much better. However the $20 version works fine for me when pointing my D500 @ 61.5/72 (I have no use for 77). Just cover up the 61.5 lnb with tinfoil and adjust the dish to receive 72. The cheapo meter will only tell you if you have a signal, you might have to re-aim a couple of times if you end up on the wrong satellite.

If you're full-timing the expensive meter is more than worth it. But for the guy that RV's a few weeks out of the year I'm not sure it's necessary.
From my experience, aiming a DISH 500 is easier than aiming a 3 LNB dish. If OP wants to try a $20 meter, good luck, but, you never know, he may be a Satellite Whisperer.