ViP222 and SW64/SW21 switch compatibility

ewnowak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 25, 2004
I am currently feeding an 811 HDTV receiver and 3 other Legacy receivers via SW64/SW21 switches from individual legacy LNBFs mounted on a WaveFrontier T90 toroidal dish. Doing a signal check shows I am receiving signals from 110W, 119W, 129W, and 148W. I recently purchased my first HDTV set, a Samsung HL-T6189S DLP. Can I simply replace the 811 with a ViP222 or ViP211 and call DishNet and ask them to add the $20.00 HDTV package?

The short answer...yes

Longer answer...Dish may choose to have an installer come out to install the receiver for you. If that's the case...and if you're not willing/comfortable/able to do that...then simply stick to your guns and insist that be the case. It should be a matter of just swapping out the receiver, doing a checkswitch, downloading the software, and getting the receiver activated.

You'd still have to take one of the sat feeds from the legacy reciever that'll be disabled and move it to where the 222 is so that you have two sat feeds going to it.

You'd still have to take one of the sat feeds from the legacy reciever that'll be disabled and move it to where the 222 is so that you have two sat feeds going to it.

I don't understand. The only receiver that I am replacing is the 811. The other 3 receivers (1-JVC301, 2-EchoStar2300) will remain. Are you thinking of the second tuner in the ViP222? I will not be using this tuner, at least not for now. It's too much trouble running a cable through the walls.

The short answer...yes

Longer answer...Dish may choose to have an installer come out to install the receiver for you. If that's the case...and if you're not willing/comfortable/able to do that...then simply stick to your guns and insist that be the case. It should be a matter of just swapping out the receiver, doing a checkswitch, downloading the software, and getting the receiver activated.

That's what I thought. Thanks a lot.

I don't understand. The only receiver that I am replacing is the 811. The other 3 receivers (1-JVC301, 2-EchoStar2300) will remain. Are you thinking of the second tuner in the ViP222? I will not be using this tuner, at least not for now. It's too much trouble running a cable through the walls.

You must connect BOTH tuners to the dish or it wont work correctly.

If you're replacing the 811 with a 211, you should be fine just swap the receivers. If you're releacing it with a 622 or 222 (dual tuners) then yes you need to connect two cable runs to the receiver and most likely will need to upgrade your current setup.

If you're replacing the 811 with a 211, you should be fine just swap the receivers. If you're releacing it with a 622 or 222 (dual tuners) then yes you need to connect two cable runs to the receiver and most likely will need to upgrade your current setup.

I'm still confused. What are these "two cable runs" connecting to - from where to where?

I'm still confused. What are these "two cable runs" connecting to - from where to where?

222 has 2 tuners... so its got to sat inputs on the back.. they both have to be connected for the receiver to function properly. You have to have 2 cables running to the 222 or 622 with a legacy setup like you have. THe cables have to run from the out on the sw21 swithces to the in on the 222

222 has 2 tuners... so its got to sat inputs on the back.. they both have to be connected for the receiver to function properly. You have to have 2 cables running to the 222 or 622 with a legacy setup like you have. THe cables have to run from the out on the sw21 swithces to the in on the 222

What he said. If you don't want 2 cable runs to a dual tuner then upgrade your equipment to Dish Pro Plus. DPP allows you to run a single cable to a DP separator and feed the dual tuners with a single cable run. But if you're using Legacy or Dish Pro you need to run 2 cable runs to the dual tuners.

What he said. If you don't want 2 cable runs to a dual tuner then upgrade your equipment to Dish Pro Plus. DPP allows you to run a single cable to a DP separator and feed the dual tuners with a single cable run. But if you're using Legacy or Dish Pro you need to run 2 cable runs to the dual tuners.

What if I fed the same input into the two tuner inputs on the ViP222 using a splitter?

Unfortunately, you can't use splitters with satellite. It's not Cable TV, it's a different technology.

If you do a 622 upgrade, Dish Network will provide you with the equipment so you may want to ask how much it will cost you to upgrade. For your setup, you need a DPP44 switch and DPP Lnbs. The DPP44 will feed the 622 with a single cable and it will also work with the legacy receivers with no DP Adapters.

So when you call to upgrade, ask them how it will cost you to upgrade the equipment or if it's gonna be free.

Unfortunately, you can't use splitters with satellite. It's not Cable TV, it's a different technology.

If you do a 622 upgrade, Dish Network will provide you with the equipment so you may want to ask how much it will cost you to upgrade. For your setup, you need a DPP44 switch and DPP Lnbs. The DPP44 will feed the 622 with a single cable and it will also work with the legacy receivers with no DP Adapters.

So when you call to upgrade, ask them how it will cost you to upgrade the equipment or if it's gonna be free.

Why is it that I don't have a problem if I direct swap the 811 with a ViP211 instead of the ViP222?

dual tuners require two feeds (222)

single tuners require one feed (211)

DPP tech kinda complicates things. But that's the overall gist of things.

Thanks a lot for your help. I think I'm going to call Dish Network, change my order and get a ViP211 instead of a ViP222.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)