VIP222 - Separate Coax Runs?

Carl B

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2003
Arvada, CO
This may sound like a dumb question, but I've never owned or used a dual tuner satellite receiver so I don't have any practical experience with one. For the dual tuner VIP222, if one wanted to use the second tuner for PIP on the TV that the main tuner was providing picture, would one need two separate coax cable runs from the satellite switch outside to the location of the TV with the PIP?

Thanks in advance.

Carl B.

Nope, just 1 cable is necessary and they will use a DPP Separator to "split" the cable right before the receiver so that it has two inputs.

Most HD dual tuner receivers have pip built in, but can only be used when in single user mode. I am not sure if the 222 has this feature though. If not, and your tv has pip, you can connect it to your tv via which ever inputs the tv has to use. As to whether you need two coax, that depends on your tv. My Toshiba and Dish tv's can both do it on one coax.

Most HD dual tuner receivers have pip built in, but can only be used when in single user mode. I am not sure if the 222 has this feature though. If not, and your tv has pip, you can connect it to your tv via which ever inputs the tv has to use. As to whether you need two coax, that depends on your tv. My Toshiba and Dish tv's can both do it on one coax.

Yes the 222 has PIP threw the single mode which is sort of a PITA but it does work well watching football.

Nope, just 1 cable is necessary and they will use a DPP Separator to "split" the cable right before the receiver so that it has two inputs.

This sounds like the answer to my question (i.e., Dish has a splitter of sorts that can take the feed from one coax and support the two tuners on a VIP222 independently). I think I muddied the issue with my reference to using the second tuner for PIP. Regardless of what I use the second tuner for, I just needed to know if I needed one or two coax runs from the satellite dish switches to the receiver's two coax inputs.

Thanks to all.

Carl B.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)