vip612 dvr, is coax output only in SD?

framer

Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
IL
i hooked up a second tv(other room) to my vip612 through the coax output, and the resolution is not HD. is that the way it is? is the vip612 only hd through the hdmi and component output?

i hooked up a second tv(other room) to my vip612 through the coax output, and the resolution is not HD. is that the way it is? is the vip612 only hd through the hdmi and component output?
You need to be more specific. There's RF, composite and component via coax connections.

The composite (yellow jack), S-Video and RF connections will always be SD but you should get HD from the component unless copy protection in the program stream is preventing it. If HDCP protection is active in the program stream, only the HDMI output will be HD and only if the display is HDCP compliant.

for my second tv i used the standard coax output below the antenna input, using rg6 cable, which is my only option as that is the only wire capable of going to the other tv. i was just wondering if better reception was possible through that line.

And the cheapest QAM modulator I have seen costs around $1K. See this thing, for example. Then there is pro gear for even more breathtaking prices.

The only reasonable thing to do that would satisfy content providers, as well as our need for affordability, on the 612 or especially the dual-tuner receivers, is to put on multiple HDMI outputs.

The problem with ATSC modulators isn't price because the chip set isn't that expensive it's the rebroadcast rights legalese mumbojumbo that is associated with it that is the problem.

You need to be more specific. There's RF, composite and component via coax connections.

The composite (yellow jack), S-Video and RF connections will always be SD but you should get HD from the component unless copy protection in the program stream is preventing it. If HDCP protection is active in the program stream, only the HDMI output will be HD and only if the display is HDCP compliant.
Actually the 612 is desinged to operate ONE tv. SO the secondary ouput you set up is actually a mirror.
Go to the menu under syste setup/ installtion/ modulator..
Try using a channel that is not occupied by a nearby broadcast channel.
In other words if there is a CH3 in your area, switch the modulator to CH 4..
This should help to clean up the video.
And no you cannot send HD to a second location with this receiver.

It's not just a missing 8VSB modulator that you would need. Dish HD is non-square pixel, and not MPEG-2 for the most part, so you'd actually need to transcode the payload too, in addition to providing the 8VSB modulated signal. You couldn't just pass the digital payload through as was done with the modulator for the 5000s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)