VIP612--Lost all my recordings

jolycu

Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
SW Missouri
I haven't used my system in a couple weeks and today I decided to delete some programs and change some of my timers from recording all to recording only new. It takes nearly forever to delete programs on this thing, and you can't do anything else with the system while you are waiting. The response time for this model is pathetic!

I deleted the programs I wanted to get rid of, then moved on to editing my timers. I got those set the way I wanted and then went back to watch some of my recorded programs. EVERYTHING WAS GONE, every program I had saved since I got this thing a little over four months ago! Can anyone explain how this happened?!?!?

I've also noticed that the fan on this thing runs constantly and is quite loud. Is that normal for this model? I've been tolerating the noise and slow response of this system, but losing my recorded programs is the last straw. I know I could've paid $40 and offloaded my programs to an external hard drive, but I was nowhere near capacity and saw no need. Would it have even worked if the receiver was replaced?

I guess I should've been forewarned when the first receiver didn't work and had to be replaced the same day. What is the best DVR option for a single HD tv? I haven't called Dish yet, but I don't think I want another of these units. Two bad units in less than five months is enough for me. Any suggestions?

TIA

I haven't used my system in a couple weeks and today I decided to delete some programs and change some of my timers from recording all to recording only new. It takes nearly forever to delete programs on this thing, and you can't do anything else with the system while you are waiting. The response time for this model is pathetic!

I deleted the programs I wanted to get rid of, then moved on to editing my timers. I got those set the way I wanted and then went back to watch some of my recorded programs. EVERYTHING WAS GONE, every program I had saved since I got this thing a little over four months ago! Can anyone explain how this happened?!?!?

I've also noticed that the fan on this thing runs constantly and is quite loud. Is that normal for this model? I've been tolerating the noise and slow response of this system, but losing my recorded programs is the last straw. I know I could've paid $40 and offloaded my programs to an external hard drive, but I was nowhere near capacity and saw no need. Would it have even worked if the receiver was replaced?

I guess I should've been forewarned when the first receiver didn't work and had to be replaced the same day. What is the best DVR option for a single HD tv? I haven't called Dish yet, but I don't think I want another of these units. Two bad units in less than five months is enough for me. Any suggestions?

TIA

Were some of your shows grouped in folders? Did you go inside a folder, select ALL the shows, and then hit DELETE?

If so, that's a global delete, and will also select the programs outside the folder, and target them for deletion. You'd think it would only get the ones inside the folder, but apparently not. I have read this in other postings around here. I might not be explaining it quite right, but that's the gist of it...

Also NO, before you ask, there is no way to UN-delete the deleted programs, sorry.

I only hear the fan come on at 3AM when it reboots. I think yours is overheating.

As for taking a long time to delete, it does that when you accidentally delete all your recordings and you have quite a few! Not helpful, but you have to watch out when you select all and then hit the delete button. Contrary to what primestar said above, you can and I do go into folders, then hit the edit button, then the select all button, and then delete button, and it only deletes programs within that one folder. It's when you hit Edit on the main level that you can delete everything by mistake. IMHO that option should be greyed out, or a big a$$ warning popup saying how many recordings you're about to delete. Something! Because it is all too easy to delete the whole shebang.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response guys. I did have programs in groups and those were in fact some of the ones I deleted. But if I remember correctly, the option was to delete the programs in the group, which is what I did. That seemed to work just fine. There were still programs listed when I was done with the deletions. I then went to Schedule > Timers > clicked on the program I wanted to change > Options > Set Priority. I changed the timers, hit the DVR button and My Recordings and that was when I found all my programs were gone.

The slow response of the receiver has been ongoing since I got it. We also have a DuoDVR model 625 and when I hit a button on its remote, it responds immediately. With the 612, you hit a button and it takes awhile for it to respond. It's not slow only when deleting programs, it is whenever you want to do anything with it. The 612 is very sluggish compared to the 625.

As I said previously, the first receiver the tech installed failed within a couple hours after he installed it. He brought this one out later that evening. For all I know, it could be used or a refurb because there was no box with it. He just brought it in and swapped it with the other one. My account shows that it was returned to Dish, along with the 510 it replaced.

This is really aggravating. We've had the 625 for quite awhile and have never had a problem with it. I'm really regretting the "upgrade" from the 510 to this 612. From what I can tell, the 922 is the only other single HD DVR they have and I'm not going to spend more money for that.

I replaced a 625 with a 722, and a 501 with a 612. The VIP receivers have both been more trouble than the SD receivers they replaced. Both have gone berserk and deleted all my programs; the 722 has done this twice. I don't remember a significant difference in responsiveness with any of these receivers. I think you have yet another bad or overheating 612.

For a single receiver you could have gotten a 211 and added ($40) the external disk. Certainly more reliable than the 612 by all reports. But it is not a dual tuner and the 222 does not take an EHD.
-Ken

Confirmed/tested: select all "in group" and "delete" does work on VIP612.

Contrary to what primestar said above, you can and I do go into folders, then hit the edit button, then the select all button, and then delete button, and it only deletes programs within that one folder. It's when you hit Edit on the main level that you can delete everything by mistake. IMHO that option should be greyed out, or a big a$$ warning popup saying how many recordings you're about to delete. Something! Because it is all too easy to delete the whole shebang.

Despite this being an old thread, two of us in our house have three times deleted everything over the last couple years on two VIP612s. So, just getting a new replacement VIP612, I tested Feb-2013 to figure out what went down. I've confirmed, at least when working properly, selecting group "Group by Title" or "My Groups", then drilling into a group, then edit, then select all, then delete, just deleted the items in that group.

I beleive TheKrell hits it right on: that the problem is an inherent user interface flaw. Drilled into a group or not, when you move to the menu items on the right your selection on the left is gone, and things are "mentally" ambiguous. One can easily move to highlight a group on the left, then move right and pick "edit" and "think" they are "editing" the group. Select all at that point and you've specified everything, since you had not drilled into the group, and yet one may not remember it that way. After poking around a long while, I believe this is what happened to us, though I certainly do not remember it that way, and despite having programmed computers for over 30 years such that I am almost a machine myself.

A simple "Are you sure you want to delete X items", or "delete everything on this DVR" would be nice, considering many have hit this issue, and considering "protect" only applies to auto-record and not delete (which is not intuitive). But, don't hold you breath.

Of course, it is also possible there are bugs in some unique cases.

However, the basic delete using "select all" within a group is actually implemented.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)