VIP622 and Vonage

txfeinbergs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Guys, I am very close to pulling the trigger on a switchover from DirecTV to Dish network, but I am concerned about how much trouble I will have to go through to get the VIP622 to work with Vonage. I was able to get my DirecTV TIVO based DVRs to dial out after pulling a lot of hair out. This involved putting some cryptic codes in the dial-out prefix. Does the VIP622 let you do this sort of thing also i.e. basically slow down the modem so that it can successfully dial out?

I know none of you (other than Scott!) has the VIP622, but I assume it would probably work similar to the 944 in this regards, so if anyone has had any luck with the 944, I would be very eager to hear what you had to do. THANKS!

I believe you want to refer the DVR HD 942 instead 944(this one does'nt exist yet). Beside, I like the combination with Vonage.

Last edited:
I have a 522 and vonage. I hade to increase the call quality to the best using the tools on the vonage website and have never had a problem since

I'm getting a 622 installed on 3/4/06, so I'll know for sure then.
In the mean time, I've had two 522's for just over a year and no problems with Vonage.

One more thing - if the "cryptic code" was *99, which is used to force high quality for a single call, then use of the * key is now supported on the 522. I recall fighting with the 522 when i first got it trying to get a * in the dialing prefix to no avail. A recent (or maybe not so recent?) software update added support for the * key.

If the 522 can do it, I'm betting the 622 can too. I never did end up putting the *99 prefix in the 522. Since I have my Vonage setting set to Highest Quality, I think that accomplishes the same thing.

NP i have Nuvio and the 942 and have two solutions that work:

First * is not dialable on 942, so forget that.

1. Get a DSL filter for $5 ebay and insert it into the receiver (inverted), then plug the VOIP line into the phone port (not the DSL). Gets it in 1-3 attempts every purchase that i have made was sent to Dish within 24 hours. Very important use ONLY TWO MIDDLE WIRES phone line from the ATA/wall jack to DSL filter or it will not work.

2. Get a Sipura 1000 "unlocked" ATA $30 ebay and get Free Worlds Dialup (its free to dialout 1800 numbers) then craft a "dial plan" where the string begins with "<*99> which will add this prefix to any number dialed out. One end plugs into the ethernet jack the other end phone cable to your box. You will use the Sipura strictly for the Dish receiver this way and keep your other VOIP box from Vericheap or other company for your other calls. For more on the wonderful world of free VOIP www.voxilla.com

Hope this helps.

It seems like most of the VoIP problems occur when people have DSL service. I did quite a bit of homework on this same issue before I got Vonage 1 month ago. Since then there have been no problems with Comcast HSI and my Motorola Surfboard modem. I would think there would be no problems with the 622 either.

I guess I'll find out on 2/23 when it is delivered!

Cool, thanks guys. I have Comcast for HSI, so sounds like it should work. Going to make the switch.

jdr01930 said:
I'm getting a 622 installed on 3/4/06, so I'll know for sure then.
In the mean time, I've had two 522's for just over a year and no problems with Vonage.
Have you been getting charged the $5 no-phone-line fee? That's my biggest concern. My 721 connects with Dish just fine (over Comcast HSI) but I'm concerned that even if the 622 does, Dish won't recongize the location since the call is coming through Vonage. If you haven't been charged the $5 fee, that answers the question. Thanks.

Nope, haven't gotten any of those $5 fee's (and I do check every month!).
Vonage broadcasts the caller ID info fine, so it should recognize your location without problem.

I'm using Adelphia cable internet with Vonage. When I first set it up, I checked my Vonage logs and found outbound calls at wierd times to a mysterious 800# (but not exactly at 3:00am as the set up species). Every call went through fine and I even called Dish during that first month and they confirmed the were getting the "check in" calls fine. Again - that's with a 522 and if all goes well I'll know about the 622 in a few weeks...
They also confirmed that the calls don't necessarily happen right at the time you program them for. Kinda wierd but whatever.

The setup Kandiru mentioned might only be needed for Pay Per View billing etc.
When I first got Dish, dial out functions for other services would not work - that's why I was concerned that I might get those $5 charges. Dish tech support said the check in calls were very short and "easy" compared to the other functions, so while the PPV billing, etc calls would not work, the check in calls did.

Several months ago, something changed - don't know if it was Vonage, Adelphia, or Dish, but my 522's can now do ALL the dial out functions without problems.
I didn't care about those other functions, only the call that was going to prevent the $5 charge anyway so i never really looked into it.

So - the "check in" calls may not require the reverse DSL filters, while the other functions might. Your milage may vary.

Awesome, jdr. Thanks. My 721 seems to be able to dial in via Vonage and Comcast HSI and do everything including pulling down my bill, etc. I'll be interested to see how things go with the 622 when it gets here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts