VIP622 Caller ID

mebgardener

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Mebane, NC
I'm not sure if there is a bug with the Caller ID function or it may be my mistake but the Caller ID doesn't seem to work. I've received numerous calls today and the Caller ID did not appear on the screen. I enabled the Caller ID by doing the following: Menu->System setup->Installation->Caller ID->Enable Caller ID.
Anybody experiencing this problem?

mebgardener said:
I'm not sure if there is a bug with the Caller ID function or it may be my mistake but the Caller ID doesn't seem to work. I've received numerous calls today and the Caller ID did not appear on the screen. I enabled the Caller ID by doing the following: Menu->System setup->Installation->Caller ID->Enable Caller ID.
When you open the system info pages, it tests your phone line/connection. Not the menu-menu system info single page, the system info pages (3) in the installation menu. It does it during the status check on page 1.
There is also another menu area specifically for testing the phone line/connection.
I can't remember where.
Check that first, and make sure your 622 is seeing the phone line as being connected.
Be certain you're plugged into the phone jack, and not the ethernet port. I did that when I installed my 211, dispelling the rumors doing so can fry your receiver or phone system. I connected it correctly, and it has worked fine since.

I tried your suggestions:

1. Visual check shows that the phone line is in the phone jack (not ethernet port) of the VIP622 unit.
2. I went to Menu->System Setup->Diagnostics->Connection and it is says "Phone Connection OK" after it went through the Testing Phone Connection phase.
3. I went to Menu->System setup->Installation->System Info and everything checks ok....in fact, the "c" box with the phone graphic is green.

So, you are saying that Caller ID is working for you? You do not have this fault?

mebgardener said:
So, you are saying that Caller ID is working for you? You do not have this fault?
Correct, it works fine, and has since its original install on the 16th. A banner pops up across the top for an incoming call, and all calls are logged in to the history page.
Have you used the same line/jack for caller ID on another Dish receiver, and it worked correctly?

My caller ID has been working on the 622. Do you have more than one phone line? Maybe the 622 is on the wrong line?

mebgardener said:
Just thought I would ask , but do u subscribe to caller I.D with your phone service, you must do this before the caller I.D. will work! This is a common misconseption that because the reciever has caller I.D. it will show up when someone calles, it won't unless u subscribe! Just thought I'd cover the bases! :)

My 622 caller ID does not work, had a 721 hooked up before the 622 and it worked ok. I know the line is good paid my dish bill on the 622.
What I miss is the instant weather I could get on my 721.

The phone line is the same one that was plugged into the 811 of which I had swapped out for the VIP622. The Caller ID feature worked well with the 811 and I do subscribe to Caller ID with the phone company. In fact, my phone will display the caller ID when I get a call (to put to rest that Caller ID is malfunctioning). This prompted me to check the Caller ID History feature on the VIP622 (which is a new feature that the 811 didn't have) and it showed that I had several calls. So, it seems the Caller ID is working properly but it is not being displayed on the screen. I am using TV1 dual mode (if this helps).

I know that some people have DSL and so you should make sure you have a DSL Filter on your dish network box. I know that was a problem I had to do. I used to have the DSL where the splitter was outside the house but then I upgraded to a cheaper plan and they gave me the one where I needed the filters on each phone device. So I put one on my dish box and it started working.

Just a thought.

Caller ID was working fine with the 811 so I don't think the issue is with call forwarding. I also have a DSL filter attached. Again, I can see in the Call ID history on the VIP622 that calls are recorded. The only issue is that there is no pop up window on the TV screen when a call comes in.

CallerId is working fine on my 622, using it with voip. Shows on TV1 & TV2.

The banner comes on about 5s after the phone rings which is a big annoying.

There is an option in the preferences to show the caller ID on the 622.

Be careful when using the feature though. The channel will stop playing if you are watching a program and checking out the guide when someone calls in. As soon as you exit the guide the channel comes back. I can repeat this behavior over and over on the box.

Weird....When I installed mine, I did what Mebgardener originally said he did.
Plugged in the phone line and enabled Caller ID in the menu.
It's worked perfectly ever since.

Yeah it works fine on my 622 too. I also have DSL with a filter. Maybe you did not wait enough. It takes a while (5 secs or so) for the info to show up after your phone rings

When an incoming call comes in there are two different banners. The banner across the top displays when programming is being viewed, and there is a different banner that displays at the bottom of the screen if a call comes in while you're on a menu page.
Maybe try calling while on a menu page, and see if the lower banner responds.

Thanks for everyone's input. The problem is resolved.
I reset the unit 3 times without any success. The fourth time, I decided to unplug the VIP622 for a "hard" reset and that seems to work. Weirdest bug I have ever encountered because originally, the Caller ID history had all the test calls that I made captured but no banner came up on the screen. Now, after the hard reset, the Caller ID is working as intended. I am now getting the banner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts