VIP622 - Confirmed and Rumoured New Features

David_Levin said:
Obvoiously, the original posters request will never happen in an open thread.

These number's don't really make sense.

320-100 = 220. This is less then the 921, but the 622 holds 5 more hours of HD (25 vs 30).

Not sure how much the "reserved". Currently my 622 shows 11 sd programs on DOD.

ralfyguy said:
That's what I'm saying. for a Dollar more I can rent the DVD.

Dollar more! Try a dollar less! Rentals are $3.99 in my area, or about $2.50 through Netflix depending on how fast you return them

Hopefully, no one will buy the VOD stuff and they'll drop it, but it's doubtful.

The thing I don't get is it's not even a good deal compared to PPV. I can DVR a PPV movie and keep it as long as I want, for less money.

David_Levin said:
Obvoiously, the original posters request will never happen in an open thread.

These number's don't really make sense.

320-100 = 220. This is less then the 921, but the 622 holds 5 more hours of HD (25 vs 30).

Over the air is generally 10 gig/hour -> so, 30 hours would require 300 gig.

I guess it's possible they are assuming mpeg4, but I sure hope not.

Plus, 100 gb is a rediculous amount of storage for std-def VOD.

If the number are correct, I'd RELLY like that 100 gig back.

Actually, OTA is right about 8.5 gig/hour, maximum, usually much less. Thats based on a full 19.3 mbit/sec signal. We all know that Dish doesnt send this much bitrate, even HDNet only comes in around 18mbit.

I think you will find they took an average of say 15 mbit, which works out to 6.75 gig/hour, 30 hours equals 198GB.

It would be nice though to get back that extra 100GB if its really not accessible to us, would give us more like a 45 hour HD DVR.

I don't like the VOD idea, but I can see them doing it as a business idea to generate revenue. OTOH, "Bruce Almighty" at $2.99- if it was in HD, I mighta gone for it.

It is rather astounding isn't it.

E* is eating up 30% of our high-end HD DVR's disc space to store SD movies on it.

Note to Echostar: WE DIDN'T BUY HD DVR'S TO WATCH SD MOVIES!!!!!!!

This is akin to buying a new freezer and it having some kind of device which reserves one shelf to storing only 49 cent Banquet Pot Pies.

Tom Bombadil said:
This is akin to buying a new freezer and it having some kind of device which reserves one shelf to storing only 49 cent Banquet Pot Pies.

It'd be different if it was a refrigerator and the shelf was for storing beer!
beer.gif

Tom Bombadil said:
And being required to pay an additional $1.00 if you ever decide to eat one.

If they had something on VOD I was even remotely interested in watching at a reasonable price ($4.99 for SD PQ is absurd!), I might try it, but as it stands now, no chance. If it were HD with DD5.1, maybe I'd ponder it a bit harder. :)

Some older movies at $1.49 (or less) would be something I'd consider. Even Movielink has runs some decent $0.99 Friday specials. C'mon, E*, get a clue...

It is rather astounding that someone at Dish thought this was a good idea.

Dish-head #1: "Let's reserve 100GB of their expensive HD DVR disk space to save SD movies."

Dish-head #2: "Hmm ... not bad. But how much should we charge for them?"

D-H #1: "Well, we charge $3.99 for SD PPV movies. But for the shear novelty of being able to watch them off of their own hard drives, let's raise that to $4.99!"

D-H #2: "Do you really think they will pay extra for movies that are eating up their drive space?"

D-H #1: "No doubt at all! And to top it off, rather than give them unlimited viewing once they pay for them, like we do if you record a PPV event, we're going to restrict it to a 24 hour period."

D-H #2: "Wow! That would be great for us! God bless America!"

D-H #1: "Yes, God bless America!"

King Dish-head: "I have been listening and highly approve of your ideas. Let it be so!"

And thus VOD was created from out of the void. And it made sense because King Dish-head said it did.

Last edited:
VinceT3 said:
I would be ok with it if they used it like Cable where its mostly freebie stuff, like DYI, HGTV, Music, HBO, STARS, Cinimax, etc.. but I doubt they will.

NO that would enhance your service to much. We can't do that. :rolleyes:

VOD:
Even if useless, it's still good marketing. Joe Consumer talking to Joe Salesman is going think it just like Cable VOD. We may never get rid of it.

They should have a few free shows in there so people get to try it out and get hooked.

I would even throw the most recent Charlie Chat up there as well so customers know whats new at Dish.

Scott Greczkowski said:
They should have a few free shows in there so people get to try it out and get hooked.

I would even throw the most recent Charlie Chat up there as well so customers know whats new at Dish.
Best idea I've heard yet. They should launch with all free content and only add paid content when they negotiate with the providers for it to be as good as their existing PPV service ($3.99 instead of $4.99, can keep as DVR event indefinitely).

More likely though, such negotiation would result in existing PPVs being crippled from the DVR function in the future.

sprintcarcrazy said:
Lets fire off a message to ceo@echostar.com and let them know we do not like this stupid feature.
That would be assuming "E" gives a rip what you like or don't like.

I imagine they're probably receiving some $$ to have that VOD available and since it only costs you space on your HDD and "E" looses nothing by that, "E" really could care less and there's no reason for them to even consider changing it.

Scott Greczkowski said:

Ideas like that require a certain amount of marketing savy - something which has never been one of "E"'s strong points.:cool:

long_time_DNC said:
Yeah, but how many people actually make use of it? At $4.99, I bet not too many...
I would hope that anyone with any kind of Dish DVR would be smart enough to not utilize this "feature"!

Unfortunately, Dish has already incurred the programming cost and made the absurd change and has no incentive to give us back our full DVR capacity. Only our many strong complaints will ever get this to happen, but I doubt it will, because Charlie is known to have a stubborn streak...

Personally, if I were Charlie, I would fire the guy that came up with this ridiculous idea as well as the guy that approved it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)