VIP622 installed, don't want to share it:)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

markd

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 4, 2004
Memphis area
Just got a VIP622 install and I'm sharing it with another TV. And I don't like only having one tuner. I've been use to recording a program and watching another one live. Having the VIP622 TV-2 setup all I can do is record a program and watch a pre-recorded program. So to fix that I'm getting either a 301 or 311 for the other TV and take back my second tuner :). I'll be getting the extra receiver installed this Saturday with no installation fee.

:up Thank you Dish Store :up

Dish has been the best install of the three (*D, *C & *E). I ordered with Ernie with Dish Store on Monday. I was install on Tuesday. The installer was a Dish employee and not contracted out. His work looks a lot better than the contractor who install *D. The Dish installer actually hid the cables on the outside of the house.

I had only one problem. The IR remote for TV-1 would take up to 20 to 30 minutes before it would start working the receiver. It controlled the TV fine. The installer and I couldn' figure out what was going on but when he left it was working. This morning the same thing. I called Dish Tech and as he ran me through a few test he asked what kind of tv I had. I have a Sharp 37" LCD. He said that is probably the problem. Some of the LCD TV emit IR interference for 20 to 30 minutes. So Dish is sending me out a RF remote to use on TV-1.

Now that I have seen all three within the last 5 years I can say that Dish and Comcast has better PQ than DirecTv. Of course, OTA looks better than what I was getting from Comcast. The PQ of the SD on Dish is just as good as Comcast. Remember I have a 37" TV so I'm not seeing all the artifacts. I changed from Comcast to Dish because I wanted more HD. Plus when Comcast took over from TWC I lost HDNet and HDNet Movies. I liked those channels. Needless to say the EPG with Dish is a lot better than Comcast. But not quite as good as the Tivo I had with Directv.

Uh you can record one program and watch a live one by recording the program to the opposite tv that your watching.

Set tv2 to be the default timer recording location so that free's up the tv1 location, its simple stuff.

Uh you can record one program and watch a live one by recording the program to the opposite tv that your watching.

Set tv2 to be the default timer recording location so that free's up the tv1 location, its simple stuff.
Unless he's not feeding both tuners.:D

But I believe the issue is as stated in the "Title", i.e., he wants both tuners for himself, so he's getting a single tuner for the rest of the family.:up

Yep. That's why I have a ViP622 (single mode), a 721 and a 508. I'd still stick with the ViP622 over the ViP612, because who knows, one day I might "lose" the 508 and just "sometimes" feed that TV with the ViP622.

Unless he's not feeding both tuners.:D

But I believe the issue is as stated in the "Title", i.e., he wants both tuners for himself, so he's getting a single tuner for the rest of the family.:up
:dev Oh give it a what the hell and make them pay for their own service,

Yep. That's why I have a ViP622 (single mode), a 721 and a 508. I'd still stick with the ViP622 over the ViP612, because who knows, one day I might "lose" the 508 and just "sometimes" feed that TV with the ViP622.

I'm with you (and the OP)! It's nice that E* provides the TV2 thing for those that want/need it, but I'll always have a dedicated 2-tuner DVR in the living room (and, with the 721, have gotten used to the same features in the bedroom).

That's why I would really like to see the toggle for single/dual mode get its own button on the remote. Every once in a while, we switch to dual mode for the secondary TV, which always throws me off. Fortunately, my kids know what button to push. But, its only a mater of time before they start telling me to get my lazy butt off the couch to do it myself ;)

You can record on the second sat tuner while watching tuner 1 with the 622 in either single or duel mode. Just set the record preference to record on TV2. (All recorded programs can be watched on either TV1 or TV2.) If you have the OTA tuner connected you can record two channels while watching a third (if one of them is OTA). If you are recording a sat program on TV1 and want to watch an OTA channel (or vice versa), you must select the channel by inputting the channel number directly or selecting the channel from the program guide, you cannot use channel up/down. I always keep my 622s in duel mode because I can access all the recorded programs from the bedroom. I often have two programs recording while I am watching a third.

I'm just use to having two tuners to use. I'm just selfish :)

TV-2 is used constantly. So recording to TV-2 would probably upset someone. Anyways, most of the time I'm usually recording one thing while watching another live. In dual mode I couldn't do that unless one of the channels was OTA.

Let me see if I understand. (I haven't been through the VIP622 threads yet). If I have it set in single mode I could record two programs and watch a live one as long as one of them was OTA? If, that's so, that's like having three tuners and will come in handy.

If I have it set in single mode I could record two programs and watch a live one as long as one of them was OTA? If, that's so, that's like having three tuners and will come in handy.
Yes, that's what you have.

I had only one problem. The IR remote for TV-1 would take up to 20 to 30 minutes before it would start working the receiver. It controlled the TV fine. The installer and I couldn' figure out what was going on but when he left it was working. This morning the same thing. I called Dish Tech and as he ran me through a few test he asked what kind of tv I had. I have a Sharp 37" LCD. He said that is probably the problem. Some of the LCD TV emit IR interference for 20 to 30 minutes. So Dish is sending me out a RF remote to use on TV-1.
QUOTE]

This same problem happened to me about 6 months ago. They sent me a new remote and the problem was fixed. Now the same problem has re-occured and I am getting ready to call again. I cannot get the remote to work for about the first 15 minutes or so.

Is this a known issue that they cannot fix?:confused:

Thank you once again Mr. Dunham and welcome to the Dish Family. If you have any questions on Dish Network services I would be happy to answer them My direct number 888-Mr Ernie(673-7643).

Is this a known issue that they cannot fix?:confused:

Dish tech told me it is a problem with some higher end LCD TVs. He looked it up and said it still shows it could be a problem. He never did say if they were working on it. But, at least, they know there is a problem.

I would be curious to know if it is just with the Sharp TVs. I know when I was trying to pass-through the original picture mode (480i, 720p, 1080i) from the cable box through the HDMI cable, a 480i could not hold the sync. I ended up just letting the cable box up-convert the 480i to 720p.

Let me see if I understand. (I haven't been through the VIP622 threads yet). If I have it set in single mode I could record two programs and watch a live one as long as one of them was OTA? If, that's so, that's like having three tuners and will come in handy.
It doesn't matter if it's in Single Mode or Dual Mode, you can record 1 from the OTA ATSC Tuner, and 2 from the Satellite Tuners - for 3 total.

And if you're in Dual Mode, while you are recording those 3 programs, you'll be able to watch 2 different pre-recorded shows - 1 on the TV1 Output in HD/SD and 1 on the TV2 Output in SD (even a recorded HD down coverted).

Dish tech told me it is a problem with some higher end LCD TVs. He looked it up and said it still shows it could be a problem. He never did say if they were working on it. But, at least, they know there is a problem.

I would be curious to know if it is just with the Sharp TVs. I know when I was trying to pass-through the original picture mode (480i, 720p, 1080i) from the cable box through the HDMI cable, a 480i could not hold the sync. I ended up just letting the cable box up-convert the 480i to 720p.

Sorry, just got back from vacation to Destin Fl.

I have a 46" Samsung LCD. Wonder what other models this affects???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)