ViP622 L4.01 Update on Thursday (Again)

I made this observation
I not sure which is more entertaining,

Listening to people whine and cry when something is not delivered within a perceived timeframe, or listening to folks piss and moan when it finally arrives.

Then Dishnetwork (with the assistance of Mark Lamutt @ DBSTalk) provides a couple of user communities the opportunity to receive the release and provide feedback directly to Dishnetwork. This is the type of response received.

That tells me that E* hasn't really decided if they're ready to release it.

More info on the DBSTalk testing opportunity here:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=82935

"That tells me that E* hasn't really decided if they're ready to release it."

E* still wants to test this software update? You've got to be kidding me. What's so special about it?

"If you don't have the time this weekend to spend testing the software, please don't respond to this request."

So they aren't releasing the software this week?

Remember that this was going to be the first partial phase of this release. We were given the opportunity to be involved it this phase.

Noone should be asking the normal questions about how do I force my receiver to receive this release. We were given that chance.

Remember the DishNetwork tagline at CES 2006?

It's about Time

We all presumed it meant that they were finally going to deliver several thing they have been talking about.

It turns out that they were really saying, "It's almost ready!"

Agreed, Mark is a good guy, you aren't going to get screwed by sending anything to him. I for one think this is a good thing. It is similar to what D* was doing with some of their new receivers. Mark, thanks for stopping by and letting the crew over here know. There is no reason that we can't all work together to make sure that this release works great for all.

I'm glad to see E* working with the satellite community (Dbstalk and Satelliteguys) to test this software update. After all, we're the ones that complain and know about what new features are coming. It's a win-win situation for E*.

Given the fact that this page has NOT been reliable in regards to the 622, does it matter ?? I wish Dish would just add it in the open once a new s/w release starts spooling.

How can you say it hasn't been reliable. Each entry starts with "Engineering plans to spool". Plans change.

The 622 entry is no longer commented out!

I'm glad to see E* working with the satellite community (Dbstalk and Satelliteguys) to test this software update. After all, we're the ones that complain and know about what new features are coming. It's a win-win situation for E*.

Yes. This is a surprisingly smart thing for old E* to do. I'm surprised.

--Doug

How can you say it hasn't been reliable.
People have "uncovered" this secret text in the source code more than once in the past month regarding the 622's next s/w update and they've come and gone with no s/w update (L3.66 doesn't count, IMO).
Each entry starts with "Engineering plans to spool". Plans change.
My point exactly ! In the end, what that page says really doesn't mean a lot, now does it ??

People have "uncovered" this secret text in the source code more than once in the past month regarding the 622's next s/w update and they've come and gone with no s/w update (L3.66 doesn't count, IMO). My point exactly ! In the end, what that page says really doesn't mean a lot, now does it ??

The text is not really secret. Inserting these commented out entries in the list is just an easy way to manage information that will potentially be presented over the upcoming days. Shame on us for looking at the page source and giving any credence as to what is there.

The information is does mean quite alot, both visible or not. We get a hint that something is coming. If it is in fact made public, we know that it got pretty close to being released. If the version number changes before the release goes into full phase, then we should be happy that we didn't get it.

I would rather see the mis-queues than nothing at all.

An update from Mark, which to me finally makes sense.

As I reported last night I was told by my contacts at Dish that L4.01 (not beta) would be released on Thursday to < 100,000 units. I was again told the same thing this morning by another contact.

It appears that those who signed up will be getting the real L4.01 and NOT a beta version.

Mark over at DBStalk just posted this update.

One more thing here - I've been instructed to make the following distinction: You will be receiving software version L4.01, in its final form, as a limited public release. You will be the determining factor whether this release will go to the general public. It is not beta software.

To me, that's a very fine line, but the 622 folks wanted it said.

I agree, that makes more sense. AND it is exactly what people around here have been asking for. If you signed up you'll get the release early and get to play with the new features. I like it!

"You will be the determining factor whether this release will go to the general public. It is not beta software."

If it's not beta software and not yet released to the general public until it goes through further testing by selected users, I guess it must be "gamma" software!

Seriously, in my company this would still be considered beta software if it's still going through another level of testing before releasing to the general public.

"You will be the determining factor whether this release will go to the general public. It is not beta software."

If it's not beta software and not yet released to the general public until it goes through further testing by selected users, I guess it must be "gamma" software!

Seriously, in my company this would still be considered beta software if it's still going through another level of testing before releasing to the general public.

Yeah, a more accurate description would be 'Final Release Candidate"

NightRyder

Developers and Actual Users opinions are always different, might as well get a market feel for it.

However....

All ships are mine sweepers - at least once. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)