VIP622: No Attenuator = Loss of Sat Signal

JimNtexas

Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Howdy,

I recently obtained a Vip 622 DVR to replace my old Dishplayer 7100. The DVR is in my den, and it is connected via coax to my wife's home office using the RF out jack in the back of the DVR.

The coax runs from the den in wall to a distribution panel and then to the home office.

With the 7100 the picture in the home office was bright and clear.
With the 622 with attenuator installed the picture in the home office is dimmer and somewhat noisy.

When I remove the attenuator from the 622 RF out jack then the picture in the home office is again bright and clear, as it was when I had a Dishplayer.

My problem is that within a minute or two of operation with the attenuator removed the 622 loses the satellite signal.

The Dishplayer output on TV VHF channel 4, while the 622 outputs on selectable UHF channels. I've experimented with different 622 RF output channels and found that 22 gives the best picture in the home office.

Has anyone had this problem of the 622 RF output killing the the satellite signal?

This sounds like something is feeding a signal back into the receiver, does the line that runs to your wifes home office have a ground block in it somewhere? If the ground block is hooked up to a ground source its possible for an improperly grounded ground source to be energized and cause any number of problems. I had a customer where the sat feed line had two ground blocks with one that was energized and carrying enough current to stop the receiver from getting a clean signal.

This sounds like something is feeding a signal back into the receiver, does the line that runs to your wifes home office have a ground block in it somewhere? If the ground block is hooked up to a ground source its possible for an improperly grounded ground source to be energized and cause any number of problems. I had a customer where the sat feed line had two ground blocks with one that was energized and carrying enough current to stop the receiver from getting a clean signal.

I think what I'll do is run a coax straight from the 622 to the home office, just to see if there is an issue with the internal wiring. It could well be a grounding issue, I hadn't thought of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)