ViP722 and OTA antenna

TomT223

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Texas
Newbie here. Due to their hideous customer service I'm taking the satellite plunge. Sold on Dish Network because of the 722 DVR. Because I have great reception with existing OTA antenna I'm thinking of opting out of the Dish local service offer. I have a couple of questions though regarding the use of an OTA antenna and the 722.

If I plug the antenna into the 722 will I be able to record OTA shows through the DVR?

Will I be able to view OTA HD shows on my TV2 through the OTA connection on the 722 receiver?

Thanks.

Your will be able to record one ota digital signal (no analog tuner) and it is attached to tv1 output. OTA does not pass thru to the tv2. You can split the signal before the input and combine (use a splitter in reverse) to combine the rf output with the signal and carry that to the second tv.

You will need to subscibe to the DISH locals if want to have guide info for your OTA channels or the giude will just say digital channel.

Newbie here. Due to their hideous customer service I'm taking the satellite plunge. Sold on Dish Network because of the 722 DVR. Because I have great reception with existing OTA antenna I'm thinking of opting out of the Dish local service offer. I have a couple of questions though regarding the use of an OTA antenna and the 722.

If I plug the antenna into the 722 will I be able to record OTA shows through the DVR?

Will I be able to view OTA HD shows on my TV2 through the OTA connection on the 722 receiver?

Thanks.

I have the 722 & a roof antenna. I record 2 shows daily off of the OTA ant.-(In HD) which plugs into the back of the 722 unit. I record all my OTA shows on my HD TV-(TV 1) and the #2 TV is in SD as far as I know.

I have TV 2 set as my #1 default for recording purposes. You should be able to watch any program that's in the DVR on set # 2. Plug your OTA ant. into the ant. in post on the back of the 722. Then, ask it to scan for dig. chs. When it's done if yur locals are broadcasting in HD you will see them in HD. The 722 will record them in HD as well. The OTA hookup is a sweet plus & I record all my shows from the ant. onto the 722's DVR. The PQ is amazing on my HD set.

Thanks. Sounds like I may be better off just getting the local channel install and saving the OTA antenna as a backup like I have done with cable.

Thanks. Sounds like I may be better off just getting the local channel install and saving the OTA antenna as a backup like I have done with cable.

I have the Dish DVR Advantance Pkg. @ $39.95/mo. It includes 1 rec./DVR, the DVR fee, local chs.-(That gets you the guide for them), and the top 100 chs. You can change your ch. pkg. around anytime as long as you pay at least $29.95/mo. for programming. Then, if Dish is not carrying your locals in HD you can simply hookup your ant. into the 722 and you'll get the locals that broadcast in HD.

In my area Dish does not carry my locals in HD, but thanks to my roof ant. I get all of them in HD. The PQ is fabulous! I am very happy with the VIP-722, DVR pkg., and my antenna. It's an exc. combination.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Depending on where you are located OTA maybe the only way to get HD. You still want the SD locals with Dish so that you have the program guide. Get the DVR Advantage plan. Locals and one DVR fee are included in the pricing. Good luck!

Ed

I use the locals from Dish as my backup and record all of my network shows from OTA. You can then watch them from the DVR on either TV they just are not in HD on TV2. I'm thinking of "moving" my locals to Atlanta though so I can record multiple network shows in HD.

An OTA antenna is also imperative to receive content not offered LIL by DISH (especially if your market has a good PBS HD).

Definitely go with DVR Advantage. After trying a couple of manual recordings of OTA, I added DVR Advantage for an extra $1.03/month which gave me the locals package and program guide. Since my locals on Dish are still SD, I record off the OTA tuner. I also split the antenna cable behind the TV with a cable to my 622 and the other to my TV tuner so I can record on OTA channel and watch another via the TV tuner.

Your will be able to record one ota digital signal (no analog tuner) and it is attached to tv1 output. OTA does not pass thru to the tv2. You can split the signal before the input and combine (use a splitter in reverse) to combine the rf output with the signal and carry that to the second tv.
OTA does pass thru to tv2 if you have receiver in single mode. Watch ota thru the receiver on tv2 and tv3 all the time.

If you've got good quality signal from your OTA, then I would recommend inputting it into your DVR and then preferring those channels over Dish-supplied locals. The reason is that the OTA locals are not going to be compressed as much as satellite locals. Each network basically gets an entire 6 mhz for their digital setup and doesn't have to share that 6 with other networks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)