VIP722 continuous Reboot

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

buckeyegrad02

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Cincinnati
Last two days my VIP722 has been rebooting nonstop. I came home from work and it worked fine for about 2 hrs. Then it went into a reboot cycle and has not stopped for several hrs. This happened last night also. Different times, and no where near the scheduled time for a system reboot.

It reboots and scans for the dishes and then goes to the program guide loading cycle and then it starts the reboot again.

I have had this happen before but it has never gone on for this long before.

Is it time for a new box?

I do not really want to lose what is on my DVR, so I am hesitant to just replace it if there is something I can do myself.

Thanks

A couple things here.
How is the ventilation around your box? There needs to be plenty of open space around to box to keep it cool. Check the temperatures - Menu 6, 3, counters and page down a few times. And report back to us.

Also, a way to get around losing your programs if you can get the box to stop rebooting you can activate USB storage (costs $40) and transfer everything to that then put it on your new box when you get it.

Finally, the box stopped rebooting after leaving it unplugged for about 1hr.

High Temp was 125 deg
Low was 95 deg
Average 113 deg

Box has been in same open cabinet for a couple of months now. It sits on the top shelf by itself. About 5 inches of open space on either side and 3 inches of space on the top. Closed backside.

I did feel the box yesterday and today and it did not seem any warmer than any other day. Plus, the TV and box were both off all day yesterday and today, then turned on in the evening when the rebooting cycles started.

I know when the 125 deg happened and I got an on screen warning for that one and the box went into cooldown mode. That was back in August or early September.

Finally, the box stopped rebooting after leaving it unplugged for about 1hr.

High Temp was 125 deg
Low was 95 deg
Average 113 deg

Box has been in same open cabinet for a couple of months now. It sits on the top shelf by itself. About 5 inches of open space on either side and 3 inches of space on the top. Closed backside.

I did feel the box yesterday and today and it did not seem any warmer than any other day. Plus, the TV and box were both off all day yesterday and today, then turned on in the evening when the rebooting cycles started.

I know when the 125 deg happened and I got an on screen warning for that one and the box went into cooldown mode. That was back in August or early September.

i think the damange is aleady done, call up dish and have them ship out new reciever. and make sure you get your self some nice 12 to 8 mm fans from computer parts store.

So you guys think I already fried it?

I have seen some temperature readings from others that are much higher. What seems to be the breaking temperature limit for this box?

Since these temperatures are recorded in the boxes memory, is Dish going to make me pay full price for a new box since this seems to be my fault or at least something that they will say is my fault?

So you guys think I already fried it?

I have seen some temperature readings from others that are much higher. What seems to be the breaking temperature limit for this box?

Since these temperatures are recorded in the boxes memory, is Dish going to make me pay full price for a new box since this seems to be my fault or at least something that they will say is my fault?

if you are under DHPP its free of charge... if you are not just call up dish and tell them you want sign up for DHPP, wait a day or two, than call them back and have them ship out new 722.:D

Im not sure if those temps are that bad, my avg temp on my 522 is 114 and its not having any problems. but could be a bad power supply or even a cable or bad connection causing to much resistent to feed back to the rec.

vip 722

Unbelivable!!!! to make my story short: 722 crashed around middle of june after software upgrade. Keeps rebooting and getting same error message 015 (aquiring satellite signal) all the time. Dish had switched my receiver 3 times, they have come up to my house 5 times and can not fix the problem. I do not have OTA anymore since I learned that could be the cause of the problem. I am shocked at the poor experince of the tech support on 1800 # who keeps on saying they know nothing about software issues, even though the tech on the field keeps on mentioning they are having lots of costumers with same situation. I have tried everything, reseting, checking switch, reset to factory default. The new receiver is doing the same. What else can I do?

There now are several threads on this issue as well as a thread on recent software release issues - I am not sure if the two problems are related. Whether it is software related or an overheating issue there is certainly a problem. Unfortunately the techs that many of us are speaking to have not been very helpful or forthcoming. Like other posters have stated it is very frustrating especially when you lose all your recordings when you have to swap out your unit. I would suspect that this could cost E* some money to keep replacing all these receivers.

Count your timers

I discovered from another thread that I could make my reboots infrequent after I cleaned up my timers. It seemed that having skipped events drove up the number of entries that apparently caused the system to choke. Setting up the timers for all new CSIs, Law and Orders, Top Chefs, etc created a lot of skipped events. I deleted all the timers, reset the DVR using the power cord method, and then recreated timers more selectively. I do not know the threshold of event numbers, nor do I claim this is your problem. Remember to unhide the shipped events to see if this could be your problem.

I had very few timers on the 722 that kept rebooting. I have a lot of timers on my 622 and have had no problems with that unit but I will take yor advise and remove any old timers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)