VIP722 died after one week

RedCoat999

Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Avon, OH
Well, after one week of problem-free running my VIP 722 started running the fan 24/7 yesterday. It is in an open-air stand with nothing impeding the vents.

Last night, the informed tech support told me to pull the plug and reset the unit after I received an on-screen warning about it getting too hot. This morning, when I woke up, with the unit in standby mode with nothing recording or being displayed, the fan was running again.

Later on, my wife calls to tell me the error message was on the screen again saying turn it off - too hot. Called up tech support this morning - they are sending me another unit.

What a great new experience with a dish for the first time!

Looks like another hour or two reprogramming my families shows on the DVR is in my future....

Well, after one week of problem-free running my VIP 722 started running the fan 24/7 yesterday. It is in an open-air stand with nothing impeding the vents.

Last night, the informed tech support told me to pull the plug and reset the unit after I received an on-screen warning about it getting too hot. This morning, when I woke up, with the unit in standby mode with nothing recording or being displayed, the fan was running again.

Later on, my wife calls to tell me the error message was on the screen again saying turn it off - too hot. Called up tech support this morning - they are sending me another unit.

What a great new experience with a dish for the first time!

Looks like another hour or two reprogramming my families shows on the DVR is in my future....

A good number of us 622 users also run an external fan to keep the dvr cooled down. Dish has been told many times these dvrs run too hot but I guess they would rather replace dvrs on a regular basis than to put a heatsink on the broadcom decoder chip and move the hard disk so it is not sitting on top of the same chip.

Here's what a lot of us use:

Amazon.com: Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan - Us: Industrial & Scientific

It's variable speed and uses a usb port for power.

Oh, and welcome to SatGuys! :D

Thanks! Wish I could have found you all under better circumstances! I also have a 622 without the DVR though. Would that need any help? Been dead quiet so far......

Without looking (I am at work) does the 722 have a USB port for power? and are they very very quiet - my box is out in the open.

Thanks! Wish I could have found you all under better circumstances! I also have a 622 without the DVR though. Would that need any help? Been dead quiet so far......

Without looking (I am at work) does the 722 have a USB port for power? and are they very very quiet - my box is out in the open.

Now I'm a little confused...

- I thought you said you had a 722 for a week?
- A 622 is a dvr, what happened to yours?

I thought you had a 722 but as far as quietness, it's about like running a pc - there's a cooling fan and a hard drive.

I thought you had a 722 but there's a usb port on the back and behind the door on the front.

Ah, is the external fan quiet!

Ok, it's as quiet as you want to make it, it has a variable speed control on it. However, too slow and it won't pull enough air through the dvr.

:)

Now I'm a little confused...

- I thought you said you had a 722 for a week?
- A 622 is a dvr, what happened to yours?

I thought you had a 722 but as far as quietness, it's about like running a pc - there's a cooling fan and a hard drive.

I thought you had a 722 but there's a usb port on the back and behind the door on the front.

I have the 722 and also another HD box with no DVR. I thought the number was 622, but maybe its 6xx - it looks identical to the 722 but is silver.

Thanks for your help. Those fans are $16 at amazon, have to find a $9 worthy-filler to ship free! Would you put it on the left (discharge?) side to pull air out?

I have the 722 and also another HD box with no DVR. I thought the number was 622, but maybe its 6xx - it looks identical to the 722 but is silver.

Thanks for your help. Those fans are $16 at amazon, have to find a $9 worthy-filler to ship free! Would you put it on the left (discharge?) side to pull air out?

Yes, my fan is on the left side near the front - you have to shine a light on the side to make sure you are where the actual hole in the grill is located - pulling air through the dvr. I have the speed set to just below where I can hear it from a few feet away.

If you have a home theater cabinet you could put the DVR in it and mount a fan on the back, side or top of the cabinet. Some people have previously posted that a USB note book cooler works well, too. Google "Home theater cooling" or "htc" and you will find many solutions.

My install involves a 120mm computer fan with speed control plugged in to the switched outlet of my receiver. I cut a hole in the back of my entertainmet cabinet and mounted the fan to blow out hot air/draw in cool air. I played with fan speed until finding the lowest fan speed needed to turn off the DVR fan resulting in almost silent operation. Every time I watch TV the receiver is on so the DVR fan never runs while watching TV.

I found the fan online. It cost $25 delivered. My room temp is 79.

So I got the new "refurbished" 722 last night - followed the instructions to the letter and.... no TV. Called them up and after 50 minutes on the phone I had TV, but only after I reminded the rep that I had the new "TurboHD" service and maybe needed new software - then it was relatively smooth sailing after that.

The service I got from the lady was great once she knew what was needed, but the service from Dish regarding giving me someone elses piece of junk hardware and not giving me the correct instructions so I wasted another evening. Not impressed so far with Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)