VIP722 does not connect to my router using ethernet cable

NABRIL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
MY 722 refuses to connect to my home router via a direct cable connection. The specs:

Router: Cisco Linksys ea2700. I am unable to configure the ports' speed, so I assume they auto-negotiate.
DSL provider: ATT (no modem) using direct connection from wall outlet to my router.
Cabling: RG6 from router to 722. I've used it for my laptop, and it works fine.

I have attempted to reset the connection in the setup menu, rebooted router and 722, but no activity from the ethernet port on my 722. The lights located within the ethernet connector (link & upload) do not even come on. I've called DISH tech support a couple of times, but they ran through the standard support script, and we got nowhere. I contacted support and they will be sending me a new receiver, but I'd like to keep this one since I have a lot of recordings and no self-powered external drive for storing them (plus, I dont want to pay the $40 fee for enabling access to a hard drive...).

What else can I try?

A year or 2 ago I did have the receiver connected using an Slink adapter, but I got rid of it since I figured a direct connection to the receiver would be better. I have powered down the receiver since then several times (manually and via outages) so, I doubt that any remnants of that setup still remain.

thanks

Or you could be using a cross over cable where a straight cable is needed or vice-vera. Look at the wire colors in the connectors and if they are in the same order at both ends it is a straight cable. If not, a cross over.

My (hopefully not stupid) question is, how are you getting DSL without a modem?

Crossovers are often yellow in color but not all yellow cables are crossover. As stated, you'll have to check the individual wire colors. I don't think any ViP receivers can handle crossovers, although many other devices can.

Will all providers provision a customer owned DSL modem? IIRC Speakeasy would not. I don't think my local telco would either, but that's many years ago.

no lights could mean the connection is bad (wire in jack came undone, etc...)

can you plug in something else to confirm it is not the ethernet port on the ird?

Crossovers are often yellow in color but not all yellow cables are crossover. As stated, you'll have to check the individual wire colors. I don't think any ViP receivers can handle crossovers, although many other devices can.
The color of an Ethernet cable, be it the cable jacket or the strain relief) means absolutely nothing.

The Linksys router in question features Auto-MDIX so whether the Ethernet cable is straight or crossed doesn't matter.

sorry. I meant Cat6....I work in IT and I got that wrong.

How I have DSL without a modem? Ask ATT. They have fiber coming to the house, and I have a little jack on the wall; I plug my router into it.
I am definitely not using a crossover cable, because I have used that same cable to connect with my laptop, and it works fine.

DIsh has agreed to send me a replacement receiver.

I didn't realize ATT had FTTH. Guess they do. What kind of bandwidth do you get?

ATT has had FTTH for a looong time. My brother lives outside Denver and he has had it for over 10 years now. I would have to ask him for sure, but I think ATT put it in back in 1999 0r 2000. I know he had it in October 2001 when my mother passed away and I was out there for the funeral.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)